Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Notices

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Make a Positive Out of a Negative?

Kap & Tank:

Guys enough is enough! Nothing productive is being accomplished by your angry tennis match here! Lets face it, the performance boating sport has suffered a BIG LOSS in the end of PBM and its great contributors and history. Let's do something positive and productive now. Lets all as readers, subscribers and advertisers try to get behind a new publication, possibly Sportboat and lets all give our support and contributions and see if we can help reestablish the great fraternity of this great sport and cement the future of performance Boating! Bickering is just another mountain of negative energy we don't need to climb!

Best Regards,
RAY @ Raylar
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt

You have spent a lot of time trash talking Performanceboats.com for writing an "article" about Powerboat Magazine being sold.
We had credible information on this sale and reported it as "news".

You don't have any idea who we spoke with and how much information we know and/or for how long. Powerboat has been shopped in the industry since December and in reality was being considered for sale before that. Do your homework before you judge.

And phone calls were placed by myself to contacts at the Bonnier Corporation.

In publishing Hot Boat and Performance Boats Magazines for the past 25 years, I have many industry relationships.Not just in the performance boating industry; but in the publishing industry.

I understand that Powerboat employees and subscribers are upset in regards to this situation. I went through my own "revelation" when I got fired from Hot Boat and Larry Flynt Publications.

However I believe Powerboat will find another home sooner than later and end up on all of our shelves soon.

As for KAP, he and I are friends but would welcome him as a contributor or partner in any capacity. He has great
integrity and is PASSIONATE about our sport. My advice is to back off with him because he is tenacious.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by King Creole
Matt

You have spent a lot of time trash talking Performanceboats.com for writing an "article" about Powerboat Magazine being sold.

You don't have any idea who we spoke with and how much information we know and/or for how long. Powerboat has been shopped in the industry since December and in reality was being considered for sale before that. Do your homework before you judge.

In publishing Hot Boat and Performance Boats Magazines for the past 25 years, I have many industry relationships.Not just in the performance boating industry; but in the publishing industry.

I understand that Powerboat employees and subscribers are upset in regards to this situation. I went through my own "revelation" when I got fired from Hot Boat and Larry Flynt Publications.

However I believe Powerboat will find another home sooner than later and end up on all of our shelves soon.

As for KAP, he and I are friends but would welcome him as a contributor or partner in any capacity. He has great
integrity and is PASSIONATE about our sport. My advice is to back off with him because he is tenacious.
Hey King Creole (the allusion to Elvis not lost),

Any indication that solid reporting was done was absent from the two-sentence article. Your news "story" was a little thin, as least in terms of news.

Back "off" Kaps? I was never "on" him. I was on the story for its total lack of substance. Kaps and I disagreed. Strongly. Adults do that and move on. Implied threats or warnings are just silly. Please.

For the sake of staying with the actual "news" story, you know, the one that led this thread, I'm done responding.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Kap & Tank:

Guys enough is enough! Nothing productive is being accomplished by your angry tennis match here! Lets face it, the performance boating sport has suffered a BIG LOSS in the end of PBM and its great contributors and history. Let's do something positive and productive now. Lets all as readers, subscribers and advertisers try to get behind a new publication, possibly Sportboat and lets all give our support and contributions and see if we can help reestablish the great fraternity of this great sport and cement the future of performance Boating! Bickering is just another mountain of negative energy we don't need to climb!

Best Regards,
RAY @ Raylar
Ray, you're absolutely correct...I'll relay my responces to Kap via PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Registered

Matt
Powerboat magazine being sold was and is big news for our industry.

As for being adults; you should look in the mirror for your own level of maturity related to this thread and previous situations where you let your emotions override your common sense.

In the past when you wanted to take a shot at me and Performance Boats you at least called to antagonize and verify the situation.

But I guess this time is was just too close to home.

Feel free to send me your resume.

Performance Boats Magazine
3620 N. Rancho Dr. #105
Las Vegas, NV 89130
(702) 313-1400

Chris Davidson

Last edited by King Creole; 05-26-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Registered

Matt
Powerboat magazine being sold was and is big news for our industry.

As for being adults; you should look in the mirror for your own level of maturity related to this thread and previous situations where you let your emotions override your common sense.

In the past when you wanted to take a shot at me and Performance Boats you at least called to antagonize and verify the situation.

But I guess this time is was just too close to home.

Feel free to send me your resume.

Performance Boats Magazine
3620 N. Rancho Dr. #105
Las Vegas, NV 89130
(702) 313-1400

Chris Davidson

Wow....I had to use two screens on my PC to see your whole ego in that post! LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Registered

Matt

And this is another double-screen post too. Good grief.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Employees "knew" nothing (and by the way, I've been freelance for the past 11 years). And that is exactly the point. You print what you know, not rumor or what you've heard or what might happen ... because sales of many magazines have fallen through many times over the years, and a sale in and of itself doesn't mean—at least in most cases—that the magazine will be shelved.

Everyone I've spoken to at Powerboat (and there weren't many folks left) and who had worked at Powerboat was floored by the Bonnier decision. No one saw it coming.

Kaps: First, thanks for the kind words. Yes, we can agree to disagree and I'm fine with it. In fact, it's a good and healthy thing.
Understandably, people feel cheated on all sides of this, employees, subscribers and advertisers but if people had an inclination of this going on it possibly could have saved a few subscribers their monies and possibly the same for the advertisers too.
However, news is news and this is an internet boating web site. Being that many of the members here possibly subscribe to PBM, it is fitting that someone, even if they are not a PBM employee, informs the “Joe public” what is going on. We see buyer beware threads all time where people share their experiences with companies and unfortunately or not PBM can be thrown in this the same category now. While you personally stated you did not know the “extent” of this deal, we can safely assume from your statements you knew it was in the works to even some degree and your compatriots did not speculate to comment on it either.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Registered

The change in format for the March/April 2010 issue sent a clear signal to me that things weren't solid with the mag. I'm surprised they hung around this long.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts

Wow, guess I need to visit OSO more than once a day I can't believe how intense this post got since yesterday.

Hey guys, the mag is a goner, oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. How about we start a thread to share your favorite Powerboat Mag memories or the best stories that have appeared in the mag (maybe even a "Best of Matt Trulio" ... like him or not, he's written some memorable stories and dedicated a good portion of his career to Powerboat).

For those commenting about the Powerboat staff knowingly taking money for subscriptions, that couldn't be farther from the truth. There wasn't anyone who thought the magazine wouldn't be around after the sale—it was going to a dedicated publishing company with multiple boating titles. If anything, we all thought Powerboat would be in a much better situation moving forward. With or without me, I honestly felt the change was the best thing that could happen to the mag.

Obviously, I'm still shocked that our new issue (July) may have been the final Powerboat. But I tell ya what, I'm going to cherish the six years of my life I spent with Bob Teague, John Tomlinson, Trulio, Gregg Mansfield, Rick Jimenez, Jennifer Hirsch, Robert Brown, Jeff Johnston, Ryan Johnson, Kevin Cooper, Vicki Newton, Ben Gallagher, Dick DeBartolo, Brett Becker, Peirce Williams, and of course, the late Tom Newby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.