Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254331-bonnier-acquires-powerboat%97powerboat-shelved.html)

Jason Johnson 05-26-2011 02:04 AM

Wow, guess I need to visit OSO more than once a day :eek: I can't believe how intense this post got since yesterday.

Hey guys, the mag is a goner, oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. How about we start a thread to share your favorite Powerboat Mag memories or the best stories that have appeared in the mag (maybe even a "Best of Matt Trulio" ... like him or not, he's written some memorable stories and dedicated a good portion of his career to Powerboat).

For those commenting about the Powerboat staff knowingly taking money for subscriptions, that couldn't be farther from the truth. There wasn't anyone who thought the magazine wouldn't be around after the sale—it was going to a dedicated publishing company with multiple boating titles. If anything, we all thought Powerboat would be in a much better situation moving forward. With or without me, I honestly felt the change was the best thing that could happen to the mag.

Obviously, I'm still shocked that our new issue (July) may have been the final Powerboat. But I tell ya what, I'm going to cherish the six years of my life I spent with Bob Teague, John Tomlinson, Trulio, Gregg Mansfield, Rick Jimenez, Jennifer Hirsch, Robert Brown, Jeff Johnston, Ryan Johnson, Kevin Cooper, Vicki Newton, Ben Gallagher, Dick DeBartolo, Brett Becker, Peirce Williams, and of course, the late Tom Newby.

rexone 05-26-2011 05:19 AM

Damn, this thread has been special :kiss:

Glad I just do race articles and photos and don't report any worthy news topics.

:D

On Time 05-26-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jajo (Post 3413152)
Wow, guess I need to visit OSO more than once a day :eek: I can't believe how intense this post got since yesterday.

Hey guys, the mag is a goner, oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. How about we start a thread to share your favorite Powerboat Mag memories or the best stories that have appeared in the mag (maybe even a "Best of Matt Trulio" ... like him or not, he's written some memorable stories and dedicated a good portion of his career to Powerboat).

For those commenting about the Powerboat staff knowingly taking money for subscriptions, that couldn't be farther from the truth. There wasn't anyone who thought the magazine wouldn't be around after the sale—it was going to a dedicated publishing company with multiple boating titles. If anything, we all thought Powerboat would be in a much better situation moving forward. With or without me, I honestly felt the change was the best thing that could happen to the mag.

Obviously, I'm still shocked that our new issue (July) may have been the final Powerboat. But I tell ya what, I'm going to cherish the six years of my life I spent with Bob Teague, John Tomlinson, Trulio, Gregg Mansfield, Rick Jimenez, Jennifer Hirsch, Robert Brown, Jeff Johnston, Ryan Johnson, Kevin Cooper, Vicki Newton, Ben Gallagher, Dick DeBartolo, Brett Becker, Peirce Williams, and of course, the late Tom Newby.

Yes some soul searching and serious thinking about the future of all you guys' careers is in order. I am not in your industry but in mine our corporate income dropped almost 35% so far this year. After dropping 15% in 2010. We have had to let go several good employees, a few not so good ones and are now working FAR more evenings and weekends ourselves at this lower level. We tried to sell two of our less profitable centers but there were no buyers so we went back out on the street and got those two back in the black at least for now. Fortunately I live below my means and saved money as well and did not spend (too) extravagantly when times were good. That is getting me through now. I met Tom Newby when here in Houston for the TOPPS Poker Run 2007 and he put a picture of my daughter in Powerboat. I agree with the post above and hope you guys' bickering is over. Like it or not some of you may go back to work in "lower" stations. Somebody has got to think of something to get this industry back up and not so absolutely dependent on the economy. Technology changes are in order. Such as new powerful efficient engines. That would run on E85. We also bought $ millions of new computer equipment and now have our own servers and IT personnel. And the restructuring (and extended hours at mgmt level) has us paying our bills.

fountainfan42 05-26-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by King Creole (Post 3413133)
Matt
Powerboat magazine being sold was and is big news for our industry.

As for being adults; you should look in the mirror for your own level of maturity related to this thread and previous situations where you let your emotions override your common sense.

In the past when you wanted to take a shot at me and Performance Boats you at least called to antagonize and verify the situation.

But I guess this time is was just too close to home.

Feel free to send me your resume.

Performance Boats Magazine
3620 N. Rancho Dr. #105
Las Vegas, NV 89130
(702) 313-1400

Chris Davidson

Chris may as well post a link for us new subscribers to register & pay

dykstra 05-26-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3412764)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hilarious!!
On a serious note, that sucks to here about Powerboat. I too re-upped my subscription only to have received just 1 issue. For me, it's not about the money, it's about not receiving a great publication!
However, I feel for the people that worked for Powerboat. We should all try and put ourselves in their "flip-flops". Do you think they like what's going on?!
I wish everyone at Powerboat the best of luck and remember, for every cuddy door that is shut, there is a cuddy door that opens. Best of luck to you all. Keep your chins up.I realize I don't have the writing skills of Matt and Tank, but you guys get the picture.:coolcowboy:

Dave Dykstra

rexone 05-26-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by fountainfan42 (Post 3413317)
Chris may as well post a link for us new subscribers to register & pay

Chris may not see this right away, so here is a link.

http://performanceboatsstore.com/subscription-c-6

smokeybandit 05-26-2011 09:39 AM

I am sitting shiva for Powerboat. For those that don't know what that is, it's jewish mourning.

I just looked on ebay, and there are some 1970's vintage mags available. I sent the seller a message to see how many issues he has. Now that it's gone, I can think of many issues I would love to have copies of.

Very sad time for the industry.

King Creole 05-26-2011 09:45 AM

I spoke with Jason, editor of Powerboat, yesterday and asked him to write a feature getting Powerboat's current staff's best memories of the magazine as well as PB's previous writers from years past.

When I got fired from Hot Bot; it was terrible to not be able to have some type of farewell issue after a 20 year career there.

Jason was enthusiastic about the writing assignment and said he would contact previous editors, Mark Spencer and Bob Brown as well as current staffers.

It will be a nice way for all to say farewell to a great publication.
Chris Davidson

smokeybandit 05-26-2011 10:14 AM

I remember one issue from early eighties that had a great photo sequence of a Cougar blowing over while they were doing the photo shoot. I believe the boat was Goldrush.