Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Notices

Bonnier Acquires Powerboat—Powerboat Shelved

Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Well first off I call bull**** on your statement that no phone calls were made to their offices and certain personnel. You don't know that for certain and I know that phone calls were made.

It seems the only rumor is your post above. Don't be so quick to pull the trigger because you certainly don't know the facts. Nor, did you bother to check before you wrote the above about Performance Boats.

You might want to take a dose of your own advice...perhaps you should have called Chris at Performance Boats and discussed the issue. I can say that you did not make any phone calls to follow up on your statements. How do I know this because I did make phone calls....hmmm does...double standard.... ring a bell.

Kap, take a step back away from your personal interest in PB and take that story on face value. Then re-read what Matt said...He never said "no phone calls were made..." he stated, there was no indication of a single phone call (fact: there was no indication there was).

Also, don't forget the fact that the article was wrong! Fact: At that point nothing had been sold; the deal was still in the works. And as stated in that article it was a rumor...Fact: The term "reportedly" was used plain as day without any detail of who reported it...To me that meets the definition of rumor.

No need to call the author of a shoddy report to confirm it was shoddy reporting....It's a simple fact - it was.

But just to help out a bit, so no one steps on their d!cks again...The story should have read something along the lines of:

"Inside sources that wish to remain anonymous at this time, report that Bonnier is in the process of purchasing PBM from Affinity. No calls were returned from either party to confirm or deny these reports....We will bring more information to you as the story develops."

Last edited by thisistank; 05-25-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Get spell check.............
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Kap, take a step back away from your personal interest in PB and take that story on face value. Then re-read what Matt said...He never said "no phone calls were made..." he stated, there was no indication of a single phone call (fact: there was no indication there was).

Also, don't forget the fact that the articel was wrong! Fact: At that point nothing had been sold, the deal was still in the works. And as stated in that article it was a rumor...Fact: The term "reportidly" was used plain as day with out any detail of who reported it...To me that meets the definition of rumor.

No need to call the author of a shoddy report to confirm it was shoddy reporting....It's a simple fact - it was.

But just to help out a bit, so no one steps on their d!cks again...The story should have read something along the lines of:

"Inside sources that wish to remain annonymous at this time, report that Bonnier is in the proccess of purchasing PBM from Affinity. No calls were returned from either parties to confirm or deny these reports....We will bring more information to you as the story developes."
Hello Tank:

I do not know what personal interest you speak of other than being a subscribing member of Performance Boats Magazine. I also subscribed to Powerboat Magazine and do not have a personal interest in that publication either.

I'm not really sure what your agenda in this is as I directed my prior post directly to Matt. However, since you brought it up why does Matt need to comment on the article in Perf Boats at all? If he does he should not give advice that he himself does not follow.

Who appointed Matt T. the article police or the chief editor of online content. I think perhaps emotions came into play and or personal interests or something more basic.... wherein someone else broke the news first.

However, if we are going to editorialize material it should go as follows:

Matt T. I telephoned the Editor of Performance Boats Magazine regarding their latest article on the impending sale of Powerboat Magazine. After a brief conversation with the publisher "he" informed me he had reliable sources to confirm the article. The End!

If you argue with me on this topic I would direct you to the business section of any newspaper. The sale, merger and or acquisition of companies is always newsworthy even if they are never fully consumated or approved.

In addition, I'm curious to know why your spewing diatribe only on one site and not Perf Boats do you have a personal interest in another site? If we are casting allegations might as well run with it Look forward to your response.

KAP

Last edited by kap328; 05-25-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

Hopefully Sportboat magazine will pickup where PB left off and since it sounds like they are picking up some of the PB staff that may be the case
Old 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Hopefully Sportboat magazine will pickup where PB left off and since it sounds like they are picking up some of the PB staff that may be the case
I am hopeful for this also.

The sport needs a quality magazine that is now lacking with the loss of Power Boat
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Hello Tank:

I do not know what personal interest you speak of other than being a subscribing member of Performance Boats Magazine. I also subscribed to Powerboat Magazine and do not have a personal interest in that publication either.

I'm not really sure what your agenda in this is as I directed my prior post directly to Matt. However, since you brought it up why does Matt need to comment on the article in Perf Boats at all? If he does he should not give advice that he himself does not follow.

Who appointed Matt T. the article police or the chief editor of online content. I think perhaps emotions came into play and or personal interests or something more basic.... wherein someone else broke the news first.

Matt T. I telephoned the Editor of Performance Boats Magazine regarding their latest article on the impending sale of Powerboat Magazine. After a brief conversation with the publisher "he" informed me he had reliable sources to confirm the article. The End!

If you argue with me on this topic I would direct you to the business section of any newspaper. The sale, merger and or acquisition of companies is always newsworthy even if they are never fully consumated or approved.

In addition, I'm curious to know why your spewing diatribe only on one site and not Perf Boats do you have a personal interest in another site? If we are casting allegations might as well run with it Look forward to your response.

KAP
No appointed me the editorial police. But if you put on story out for public consumption, you expect comment. Otherwise, you stay out of the game.

The story was poorly reported and offered nothing useful to the reader. If I'd wanted to report the story that way, I could have thrown in the words "pending sale" and written it two months ago.

That story was junk in the interest of being "first." And I'll gladly let any journalist beat me to the punch with a weak story.

I'll tell you what: Take my story and that one to your local newspaper editor or Journalism 101 teacher, and ask him to grade them.

Now, back to the real story.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very dissappointed.

My wife and I always loved reading about the fantasy toys that some day we "might" have. Our 2005 Fountain actually materialized after reading about such boats for years. We were now dreaming of a 36+ Skater...

The articles and presentation of Powerboat were scholarly. As Matt Trulio has said several times, he is not a fan of conjecture and guesswork. Powerboat reporting always had an authoritative and professional feel. An honest feel. Although the competing mags can be entertaining I never got the same sense of solid facts and professionalism I got from reading Powerboat. Perhaps the magazine can be offered at a higher subscription rate to offset advertizing losses.

As others have stated putting magazines online greatly reduces their being available spontaneously. Its just "different". Too impermanent. And computer pictures still have a long way to go before they have the detail and depth of a magazine glossy, at least at close "reading" range. Hopefully someone will pick it up. I suggest all those who make a living in the business should donate a little to the effort and readers can pay a little more for a while. We'll see.

Last edited by On Time; 05-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Hello Tank:

I read your reply to Matt as that you made calls to inquire on behalf of those that wrote the original article. To me, that's personal interest. It's more than, most likely - ANYONE else did. YOU following up and taking extra steps to investigate yourself = Personal interest. Furthermore it solidifies the point the article was crap…Even you questioned its validity (since there was no information in the article).

[QUOTE=kap328;3412645]I'm not really sure what your agenda in this is as I directed my prior post directly to Matt. [/QOUTE]

No “agenda” per say. However, I count those at PBM as friends and I’ve written a blog and assisted with testing for the magazine for over a year. So I do have a vested interest, if you will. Oh, and the original "news article" from Performance Boats was wrong, lacked content and mis-led the reader.

However, since you brought it up why does Matt need to comment on the article in Perf Boats at all? If he does he should not give advice that he himself does not follow.

I would assume those reading information (on here or any other website) would appreciate Matt's FIRST HAND actual knowledge of the FACTS of the case as he can provide through his capacity as a writer for PBM. "Article Police"? Hardly. But I see nothing wrong with someone pointing out the facts of the case and bringing to light mis-information. And I do think he presented his opinions and inside knowledge of the case in a pretty matter-of-fact manner. "Broke the news first"? Rumors had been flying for over a month. Anyone could have posted that. Most have more integrity to post rumors with out specific facts of those rumors.

Ah! So you do get the point we're trying to make! A little more info instead of a mis-leading blurb (that again, was not true) would have been better for PB to publish.

You're missing the point. I agree it is newsworthy. And I agree newspapers report on buy-outs and acquisitions of companies all the time. However, I fail to see in any legitimate, respected media source where “rumor” is the acceptable source of information. And I would say that if a major paper printed a sale actually occurred, when it hasn’t yet (regardless if it was pending), I would guess there would be some litigation to follow. Bottom line...Should've gotten the facts straight or confirmed it before it was printed. The source was wrong...It hadn't happened yet.

KAP
I routinely check in on many boating related websites and reply to topics I find relative. I "spew diatribe" for RDP as an employee (paid to write editorials), just as I had for Powerboat.

And in the end Kap, I really don't understand why you would want to defend an article that was wrong and short on substance. Not like Matt or I (or anyone else for that matter) are attacking PB as a whole. Just the story. It was sh!t in an attempt to have "breaking news"...Kinda pathetic. Breaking news is great! And if you're going to play that game, make damn sure you're going to get the facts right or else suffer the ridicule of a shoddy article.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by h20 toie
I think SportBoat is in the prime position (even more so now) to dominate the arena . With Warren and Vicki over there (as well as others), they will do great things!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Lets think about this in a different light for a moment... Our industry has taken a huge hit in the last 2+ years.

It was only a few months ago that people were bashing the magazine, stating how it was going down hill and they were not going to renew, support etc... Well guess what? It worked, they are now going away for good.

What I think many need to do is some real sole searching... Do we want our sport to disappear all together or do we want to start supporting who is left and who is trying to make an effort to move forward?

We need enthusiasm to get things moving forward. We need to start looking back at the good times, learn from the rough times.

I think it is time to rally the troops, Anyone with me?
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.