Notices

Bottom paint????

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bottom paint????

Decided to keep the center console as a second boat and have a slip I can keep it in for the season. My boat is perfect and I dont want to bottom paint it but a lift is out of the question at the yacht club. Do I bottom paint it or just pull it from the water every couple weeks to clean the bottom? New boat is very fast so not really worried about top speed on this boat. Just want the convenience of running up to the marina and going out on cc.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd say pull it it every couple weeks that way down the road if you do sell it the boat won't have bottom paint. What you end up getting?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you look into an air filled blatter (i forgot what they are called). a guy at the yacht club up the road from me has one. he pulls his boat into his slip, hits the power switch on the air pump and it basically picks the hull up out of the water. when he is ready to go out, he depreasurizes the blatter until the hull is floating.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you in fresh or salt? If fresh, I would say leave it in, and pull it every other week. We leave our boat in all summer, pull it every other week, give it a quick clean and throw it back in. However, we are moored out, and not in a marina, and the boat is used almost every day so there is never any growth. For me, any boat with bottom paint is a deal breaker, I hate it unless you are talking a cruiser, and not a 400ss
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

In addition, what about something like a jet dock? I guess similar to the bladder lift, not as permanent as a hydro hoist. Don't know, price, but I think that marinas may be more for a jet dock if they are against a serious lift.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

www.airdock.com
The marina may allow this since it just ties up to the cleats on the dock. The PVC piping also just ties up to the dock cleats.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Might look into a "boat bunker," which is basically an underwater bag that surrounds the hull. The theory is that the bag cuts off oxygen to the water, which prevents algea growth.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
I'd say pull it it every couple weeks that way down the road if you do sell it the boat won't have bottom paint. What you end up getting?
Partnered up on Rifices 32 Skater.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say no on the bottom paint. It's one thing if you leave it in the water forever, but if you ever put it back on the trailer it is going to look like a p.o.s.

I like the airdock or jetdock idea if you can get away with it. My local marina is the same way...they are geared tword large sail boats and cruisers....
Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have white bottom paint you know. Also, on some boats the bottom gel coat starts to get blisters if left in the water without bottom paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.