Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   idle issue with ear muffs? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254500-idle-issue-ear-muffs.html)

1MOSES1 05-26-2011 07:02 PM

idle issue with ear muffs?

just started the motors for the first time this year...had the ear muffs on with the water running. at idle the water impellar doesnt seem to be pulling any water. give it a little gas and she starts sucking. is this an issue? i should mention that the water impellar was just replaced a few days ago.

Too Stroked 05-26-2011 07:18 PM

How are you judging that it isn't pumping any water in? Is this the first time the boat was run this season after being winterized?

The reason I ask is that if it's the first time it's been run after being winterized, you've got to let the impeller (Alpha) / raw water pump (Bravo) fill the cooling system before anything comes back out.

1MOSES1 05-26-2011 07:23 PM

when the motor is idle i can see the water leaking out of the sides of the ear muffs...when i give it a little gas it starts sucking the water up into the motor (water disappears and stops coming out of the sides)...not sure if this is normal or not.

seems as though their is not enough suction at idle to pickup the water...can someone tell me if that is normal or not.

Powerquest230 05-26-2011 08:04 PM

Did it pump any water out thru the exhaust while it idled?

SC288 05-26-2011 08:21 PM

Most likely the impeller will need to be replaced....how old is it?

A.O. Razor 05-26-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by moses0324 (Post 3413784)
i should mention that the water impellar was just replaced a few days ago.

Originally Posted by SC288 (Post 3413845)

wakeywakey:lolhit:

As said before, if water is comming from the exhaust and the temp is normal, it should be ok. Do you have a water pressure gauge and what does it read? How did it behave before winterizing?

It's been awhile since I've used ear muffs, but as I recall it there is always some water running by the muffs, especialy at idle.

JayFan 05-26-2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3413794)
How are you judging that it isn't pumping any water in? Is this the first time the boat was run this season after being winterized?

The reason I ask is that if it's the first time it's been run after being winterized, you've got to let the impeller (Alpha) / raw water pump (Bravo) fill the cooling system before anything comes back out.

I agree. I have the same motors/drives as Moses and it took mine a about 30 seconds to "fill" back up after winterizing. I was nervous as well when I looked at the exhaust and no water was coming out at first.....but it did finally!

If nothing comes out after you wait a bit.....then I'd say the impeller was installed improperly.

Oh Moses...... be sure the front pickup on the Bravo is plugged or it won't suck worth crap. I found that out the hard way...... I just tape them off while I do my flushing....then remove the tape. I have to do this because I don't have the "proper" earmuffs for the dual intake Bravo.

1MOSES1 05-26-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Powerquest230 (Post 3413829)
Did it pump any water out thru the exhaust while it idled?

no, none of the water was being sucked up into the exhaust unless i gave it a little throttle. as soon as i gave it a little all of the water was being pulled through.

1MOSES1 05-26-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SC288 (Post 3413845)

3 days.

1MOSES1 05-26-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3413851)
wakeywakey:lolhit:

As said before, if water is comming from the exhaust and the temp is normal, it should be ok. Do you have a water pressure gauge and what does it read? How did it behave before winterizing?

It's been awhile since I've used ear muffs, but as I recall it there is always some water running by the muffs, especialy at idle.

this is the first time running on muffs. bought the boat last year.