Notices

Mercury 600sci with Mufflers?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chattviper
This is what I use, from CMI.
Mark,
Do you lose any rpm's up top when you run the mufflers ?

I have transom mount CMI's, worked great for noise. I pulled the insides out and boat seems to pull harder and overall feel stronger. Definitely would hit the rev limiters quicker without the baffles in (before my gear change).

Now have 6" 'tips', having 6" turndowns built to bolt on for non-poker run weekends.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shallow Minded
My Scarab came with GGB's and I've been very happy with them... they tone it down just enough to keep me legal, but the boat still sounds great. If you can keep them polished up, they actually look good, too. Good luck.
Shallow Minded: Which type of GGB mufflers do you have? Inline? If yes, how long?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Default Silent Choice

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Is silent choice legal in Canada? I've seen 600sci's with Silent Choice exhaust before...
Dean
Dean, you have just described my current set up. Canadian law specifically demands mufflers. Strangely, no specific db is required. Since running the exhaust through the propeller hub is ultimately the quietest. I'm currently thinking of switch between through the propeller hub and mufflers. I have to use inlines as you cannot clamp on to the end of my pipes. It would also ruin the appearance of my boat. So far I have learned about a couple of muffler manufacturers I can look into. Now I have to decide who to use and what decibel level to adhere to. Since the boat lives half the year in Florida I'm thinking 88. Sure will miss the sound of wide open pipes.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah, mine is an older set of clamp-on's... I can snap a pic this weekend when I get to the boat if you'd like.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless010
Dean, you have just described my current set up. Canadian law specifically demands mufflers. Strangely, no specific db is required. Since running the exhaust through the propeller hub is ultimately the quietest. I'm currently thinking of switch between through the propeller hub and mufflers. I have to use inlines as you cannot clamp on to the end of my pipes. It would also ruin the appearance of my boat. So far I have learned about a couple of muffler manufacturers I can look into. Now I have to decide who to use and what decibel level to adhere to. Since the boat lives half the year in Florida I'm thinking 88. Sure will miss the sound of wide open pipes.
Fearless,
So at the end of the day, you are going to have both Silent Choice and mufflers? BTW, has the silent choice given you any trouble when on, as far as idling for 30-45 minutes?
Thanks,
Dean
Also, Sweet boat!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Is this the style of exhaust you have?
Attached Thumbnails Mercury 600sci with Mufflers?-1815244_16.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Sutphil
Is this the style of exhaust you have?
Fearless,
Is this your engine? If yes, does it already have in-line mufflers or are those Cat Converters I see in the pic?
Dean
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Why dont you try a pair of the ones that slip inside and are screwed in. I think Teague and Cp have them. No power loss, its in line and will fit in your system.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dean,
Sorry I forgot to respond to your question. I do have problems with my silent choice. One side seems to constantly need to be adjusted. I will flip the switch, the actuators will engage and push the flaps over to divert the exhaust down through the prop hub, then one side will switch back to the original position putting the exhaust back through the pipe on that side.
FL,
Sounds like the 1 actuator is either loosing power, or it's being "uncommanded" back, short in the harness somewhere maybe....
But are far as the engine itself, it idles fine, doesn't load up or anything.....? We live on a "USFWS Manatee Refuge" waterway, (Sykes Creek) and our idle times are 20 minutes south, 40 minutes north from our dock!

BTW, what engine oil do you use?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dean,
I think i'm derailing my own thread! I'll respond to your questions in your mail box.
Thanks,
Peter (FL)
OK,
Thanks,
Dean

Back to our regular 600sci w/ mufflers programming now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.