Notices

Ipads, Androids and GPS

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
heres my thing on IPAD, whats the purpose. I mean you have your lap top which isnt much bigger, and then your phone which can do everything. To me I cant justify buying it because its a useless inbetween device IMHO.
You really need to try one. It will replace about 85-90% of what you do on a PC and as for the phone, it's great in a pinch but a 3-4" screen is still way too small to do anything serious.

Form factor of a tablet just blows away a laptop. That's why they are selling them faster than they can make them.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I have the Navionics app on my Motorola droid phone. Great app and beyond worth the money for at least a backup.

But like everyone else is saying, you can't see it for crap in the sunlight. It might be better if I had bimini top, but I don't, so it is just tough to read.

I have had it mounted with the car mount on the dash and it is semi helpful, but the real GPS is way easier to read because of that coating on the screen (purplish tint stuff). I wish you could get that coating in film form so I could put it on my phone.

I can see both the iPad and iPhone under the Bimini on my wifes boat. My open cockpit Skater it is almost impossible to see in direct sunlight. The solution is to locate it in such away that it does not get direct sunlight and turn it to max brightness.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I downloaded the Navionics app for my iphone a couple of weeks ago... very impressive and a fantastic back-up for the $10. I like that you can DL just about any map/area you want and it's a resident on the phone/ipad so lack of cell service is not a show stopper. The down side is the visibility of the screen, battery life using teh GPS (as noted above), and the lack of water resistance.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

The reason I started this thread is my very expensive chartplotter died and I don't have an extra 2K laying around to replace it. Thinking I could use my Garmin handheld GPS with a tablet. The Garmin would be the true marine GPS but the tablet would display the charts and gps data. Even if the tablet failed the handheld is still working.
At my age the tiny handheld is a bit challenging with a 1.5 x 2 screen !
ed
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I use my Ipad 2 with "Lakes East HD" for full navigation w/ all markers, marinas, water depths, bouys, etc. Works absolutely great and it can play my playlist or pandora.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered

I will take a screen shot real quick and post.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
heres my thing on IPAD, whats the purpose. I mean you have your lap top which isnt much bigger, and then your phone which can do everything. To me I cant justify buying it because its a useless inbetween device IMHO.
Laptop? So 90's! I never use a laptop anymore when traveling. iPad all the way. I can use it for hours longer than a laptop, add a Bluetooth keyboard if I want, a gagillion applications, I can access my office DeskTop unit if I need more via Gotomypc. Amazing.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered

Viewing size is 7 3/4 x 5 3/4

Last edited by FuelinAround; 05-31-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use my phone. I added another app that drops a bread crumb trail down with my speed at each point of the trip. LOVE that feature.

You guys complaining that the Ipad is hard to read in the light: Put on polarized glasses and rotate it 90 degrees. Works for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

You are definitely missing the boat on tablets. Sorry, but a useless device does not sell in the 10's of millions . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.