Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ipads, Androids and GPS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/254681-ipads-androids-gps.html)

Interceptor 05-31-2011 04:31 PM

OK, now make me smart please. Can I use a tablet, not necessarly Ipad, and slave my handheld Garmin into the tablet ( if it does not have a gps in it) , download the charts I want and be on my way ?

I'll crawl back in my cave and await your responses.
ed

PhantomChaos 05-31-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 3416603)
OK, now make me smart please. Can I use a tablet, not necessarly Ipad, and slave my handheld Garmin into the tablet ( if it does not have a gps in it) , download the charts I want and be on my way ?

ed

No, and it won't make coffee either. :drink:

VtSteve 05-31-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3416355)
I also use my phone. I added another app that drops a bread crumb trail down with my speed at each point of the trip. LOVE that feature.

You guys complaining that the Ipad is hard to read in the light: Put on polarized glasses and rotate it 90 degrees. Works for me.

I can hardly see my Garmin with the polarized shades on, is the iPad different in the sun? I'm currently adding iPads to my consulting business, and doing integrations with a partner.

FuelinAround 05-31-2011 08:12 PM

They have a screen cover that integrates with the water proof otter box defender that is an antiglare

richanton 05-31-2011 08:31 PM

Navionics on the Ipad does not have the chart detail of a full chartplotter. Also, I know everyone say that Navionics has all these cool features like real time weather and tides, etc, but I haven't figured out how to find all that on the program. All I have accessed so far is the basic maps.

For me, this is not a replacement to a chartplotter. I use it to plan my route, or study my course, before I get on the boat. That way when I'm cruising I'm already familiar with the area and any possible obstructions, vs. seeing it for the first time on a chartplotter at 70 mph.

SpeedGirl 05-31-2011 09:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by richanton (Post 3416841)
Navionics on the Ipad does not have the chart detail of a full chartplotter. Also, I know everyone say that Navionics has all these cool features like real time weather and tides, etc, but I haven't figured out how to find all that on the program. All I have accessed so far is the basic maps.

For me, this is not a replacement to a chartplotter. I use it to plan my route, or study my course, before I get on the boat. That way when I'm cruising I'm already familiar with the area and any possible obstructions, vs. seeing it for the first time on a chartplotter at 70 mph.

The INavX charts are detailed in my area (attached)... They are exactly like the paper charts...

Audiofn 05-31-2011 09:56 PM

ed

Why would you need to slave your GPS to the tablet?

Audiofn 05-31-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 3416707)
I can hardly see my Garmin with the polarized shades on, is the iPad different in the sun? I'm currently adding iPads to my consulting business, and doing integrations with a partner.

Take your glasses and tilt them 90 degrees and you will be able to see the stuff again. ;) By turning the Ipad you get the same effect.

Interceptor 06-01-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3416978)
Why would you need to slave your GPS to the tablet?

Only if the tablet did not have an internal gps receiver.

Interceptor 06-01-2011 08:15 AM

ed

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3416657)
No, and it won't make coffee either. :drink:

I'll admit I'm challenged by some of todays technology. Could someone help me out ?
ed