Notices

Ipads, Androids and GPS

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
Navionics app is definitely cool. 15 bucks for a chart plotter is hard to beat. Would be nice if it had a speed and direction screen as well, maybe the next version.
Looks like it's $34.99 for the iPad version......
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Yea, I put it on my droid. $14 and change.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
"Thats how they get you, they dont include everything on it and Garmin is famous for it as well. They sell you system incomplete, then down the road say heres an update by the way it will cost you 200 bucks. Or its not compatable unless you buy the new device."

I don't see it that way. It's a damn nice tool for fifteen dollars and seems like a course and speed screen would be easy enough to do that it will be included in next upgrade which is usually free. Even if they don't, someone else will put it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

I agree on hardware, especially Apple, but on a $15 app it's a chance I'm willing to take.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
The "Very High Quality IPAD 1 case" looks like it would work if it just had a docking port access. Add a lot of velcro and I think we'd have a winner!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

I pad question. How does the GPS work? Is it from satellites like a regular Garmin GPS? Does it get some of its service from radio towers like a cel phone?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
I pad question. How does the GPS work? Is it from satellites like a regular Garmin GPS? Does it get some of its service from radio towers like a cel phone?
Both. If it has access to the sky it uses the sats. If sats not available it triangulates from the towers. iphone is the same way.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
The "Very High Quality IPAD 1 case" looks like it would work if it just had a docking port access. Add a lot of velcro and I think we'd have a winner!
At $400 they're mighty proud of it.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I contacted the company about one for the Ipad2... They responded that they are working on a few different models... - Hopefully one that isn't as much as an Ipad itself!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
heres my thing on IPAD, whats the purpose. I mean you have your lap top which isnt much bigger, and then your phone which can do everything. To me I cant justify buying it because its a useless inbetween device IMHO.
I used to share the same opinion. Until I tried an 10" android tablet. Since I own/operate an ecommerce website, I have the freedom of boating all week only if I have access to the internet. Carrying around my 19" Laptop did the trick, but was cumbersome at best. However, with the Android Tablet I carry a device that is no bigger than a magazine, yet allows me full remote capability to my office PC. Not to mention all of the other cool apps that are out there. Also wunderground.com has an iphone link that works with the androids as well. It gives me detailed radar, wave heights, marine forecast, etc.

Android Tablets with Modded Operating Systems are much more poweful than iPads. But out of the box are not. So the iPad will continue to dominate because it is a better product out of the box. But with some work the Viewsonic G-Tablet is an absolute MONSTER.

Tablets are the wave of the future!

Oh yeah I posted this reply on my Android Tablet...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.