Notices

Ipads, Androids and GPS

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Tablets are the wave of the future!
I agree. And the upper hand of the Ipad over the laptop is 3G. Anyone that doesn't think tablets are replacing laptops should look at the market sales numbers. They are staggering.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
I have agreed for business purposes beyond that its just a toy
Yes, it definatly has a business purpose for me, but it is a pretty cool toy as well. I am loving the ESPN App and have become addicted to the game "Angry Birds" it is such a stupid game but I find myself hooked
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a decent cover, would the Ipad or other tablet function just as well as something like a garmin 640? Are the Gps function or ability to find a signal as reliable? I was looking at purching a unit but this seems like the way to go.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SLAZARZ
With a decent cover, would the Ipad or other tablet function just as well as something like a garmin 640? Are the Gps function or ability to find a signal as reliable? I was looking at purching a unit but this seems like the way to go.
I don't think you get the detailed marine maps you can get with a garmin. It comes with a standard map software like google maps. More for roads than water. But then again, I've never searched the market place for marine maps either.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the biggest issue with Ipads on a boat is going to be them holding up to the shock. Something like a cruiser I don't see any issue with it, but on a boat that is landing hard jumps all the time it may cause a whole lot of issues.

Jon
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

I agree. I think it is ok to carry them along in a cushioned bag or something, but I wouldn't mount mine anywhere with that constant shock.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I don't think you get the detailed marine maps you can get with a garmin. It comes with a standard map software like google maps. More for roads than water. But then again, I've never searched the market place for marine maps either.
Maybe here?

http://www.fugawi.com/web/index-ca.htm
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
Anybody try these? Didn't appear to me from their website that they carry the waterways info that a gamin marine map does, but not sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.