Notices

Ipads, Androids and GPS

Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They have a screen cover that integrates with the water proof otter box defender that is an antiglare
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navionics on the Ipad does not have the chart detail of a full chartplotter. Also, I know everyone say that Navionics has all these cool features like real time weather and tides, etc, but I haven't figured out how to find all that on the program. All I have accessed so far is the basic maps.

For me, this is not a replacement to a chartplotter. I use it to plan my route, or study my course, before I get on the boat. That way when I'm cruising I'm already familiar with the area and any possible obstructions, vs. seeing it for the first time on a chartplotter at 70 mph.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by richanton
Navionics on the Ipad does not have the chart detail of a full chartplotter. Also, I know everyone say that Navionics has all these cool features like real time weather and tides, etc, but I haven't figured out how to find all that on the program. All I have accessed so far is the basic maps.

For me, this is not a replacement to a chartplotter. I use it to plan my route, or study my course, before I get on the boat. That way when I'm cruising I'm already familiar with the area and any possible obstructions, vs. seeing it for the first time on a chartplotter at 70 mph.
The INavX charts are detailed in my area (attached)... They are exactly like the paper charts...
Attached Thumbnails Ipads, Androids and GPS-2011-05-31_22-23-52_850.jpg  

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 05-31-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
OK, now make me smart please. Can I use a tablet, not necessarly Ipad, and slave my handheld Garmin into the tablet ( if it does not have a gps in it) , download the charts I want and be on my way ?

I'll crawl back in my cave and await your responses.
ed
Why would you need to slave your GPS to the tablet?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I can hardly see my Garmin with the polarized shades on, is the iPad different in the sun? I'm currently adding iPads to my consulting business, and doing integrations with a partner.
Take your glasses and tilt them 90 degrees and you will be able to see the stuff again. By turning the Ipad you get the same effect.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Why would you need to slave your GPS to the tablet?
Only if the tablet did not have an internal gps receiver.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
OK, now make me smart please. Can I use a tablet, not necessarly Ipad, and slave my handheld Garmin into the tablet ( if it does not have a gps in it) , download the charts I want and be on my way ?

I'll crawl back in my cave and await your responses.
ed
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
No, and it won't make coffee either.
I'll admit I'm challenged by some of todays technology. Could someone help me out ?
ed

Last edited by Interceptor; 06-01-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
The INavX charts are detailed in my area (attached)... They are exactly like the paper charts...
I looked at the Inavx app, but Navionics won all these innovation awards. I don't see what the big deal is, unless I'm just not using the app to it's full potential.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered

I guess I think that using an ipad in its current version or a newer derivative is going to be the way of the future. I dont know enought about them and whats currently available w apps but it sure seems that they can do a lot now and Im sure bigger and better is coming along with the price differential it seems to me this is/ will be a no brainer
Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is blog post about the difference between the INavX and Navionics apps, this might answer some questions....

http://blog.francis-fustier.fr/en/in...e-mise-a-jour/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.