Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we all be mandated to save 71 people in boat accidents? >

Should we all be mandated to save 71 people in boat accidents?

Notices

Should we all be mandated to save 71 people in boat accidents?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Reading between Nort's lines, I am going to assume that the true threat here is not that it will affect us in in our larger boats today, but given the precedent, it could tomorrow.
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. This is merely a "get the foot in the door" deal. Once they "prove" that the legislation is saving lives (even if figures have to be twisted to do it), the bar will be raised. Can you say "revenue generation?" Words fail me.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. This is merely a "get the foot in the door" deal. Once they "prove" that the legislation is saving lives (even if figures have to be twisted to do it), the bar will be raised. Can you say "revenue generation?" Words fail me.
yep,sounds like gun control allover.when will all those guys in the black suits leave us alone and let us have a little freedom?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
X 100!

Throw all the common sense all the window. Why won't our government do something about all these drownings??? Please save us! I say we need a Life Jacket Czar appointed right away! Where's the freakin' sarcasm font anyway?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Id wear one on that small of a boat anyways.. I think itd make all the teenagers trying to act cool at party cove in their 170 VIP look pretty funny.. Has my vote! lol
Heeey, whats wrong with VIP. Now I know what Baja owners feel like.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a better idea. Don't stand up in a Canoe while drunk to pee.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I just got my Boat-US newsletter a little while ago myself and noticed that article first thing.

I think its preposterous to mandate this upon all of us (even though it's only limited to those in 18' or less boats).

Their figures tell it all. 82 Million people participated in boating last year and only 736 people died. 0.0009%

Compare that with 31,700 auto accident deaths out of 196 Million Auto drivers which is 0.0160%.

It's a wasted effort (unless you look at the potential in enforcement revenues).

That's
THEY NEED TO PAY FOR THERE MILLIONAIR PENSIONS SOMEHOW
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Their focus is screwed, we have at least one killed in Houston every day. Maybe if they wore flak vest, they would still be here.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

You know its funny on to see all of ya bi*ch about the life jacket thing. is when ever people are out on there jet skis you dont hear them complain that they have to wear a life jacket.

If you ask me I think they should be mandatory for any kind of boat.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by demonmaestro
You know its funny on to see all of ya bi*ch about the life jacket thing. is when ever people are out on there jet skis you dont hear them complain that they have to wear a life jacket.

Good thing we're not asking you! When on a jet ski, I can see that you can easily fall off and drown. I can't easily fall out of an 18 foot boat. Why are they limiting it to 18' boats and under?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by demonmaestro

Maybe we should wear helmets while driving our cars. Life jackets on Jetskis is not a good comparison to wearing lifejackets on a boat. Their is no room for error on a jetski. When you mess up on a jetski, you end up in the drink. Hopefully it's around alot of people and you're having fun, if it isn't, you better be wearing your PFD. All in all, way too much control trying to happen. They don't make you wear a parachute when getting on a plane or when you go in a skyscraper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.