Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  OK Drag Racers, How fast???? >

OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Notices

OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Old 05-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

I know this is a boating website, but the last few weeks I have been helping my dad prepare his 1966 Vette for some 1/4 mi. action. Actually we showed the car last Sunday and after that boring day we need to go out an do some thrashing on it. We took second place in the show, but we just like going to the track way better. The car that beat us probably doesn't even run. Ha, Ha. OK, last year we turned a 13.40 at 110 MPH on street tires and had a 2.35 60' time. This year we added headers and are going to run on a set of Hoosier 8" slicks. The motor is a 468" Chevy with 450 to 500 HP. What do you drag guys think she will turn? I have seen cars in the low 12's run 105 to 110 mph if they hook up out of the hole. We will be happy if it does 12.8 and nothing breaks. Tomorrow night we will find out and I will post results.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to DR bikes, and I loved to bracket race cars. Actually bracket racing is a hell of a lot of fun. assuming that you hook it up, and still a cool evening you should see that 12.8 easy.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

I agree with eyezlee, 110mph is should be good for 12.80 or a littl better, you've got to get the 60 down to around a 1.60 though.

I don't remember what my 60ft was on the motor , I used to run 12.40's @112, when I sprayed it the 60ft was 1.50 and it (85 Mustang street car) ran 10.80's @ 128. that car was a handful on the street, 9" slicks and a stick shift !! That was in 91-92 things sure have changed now.
I've seen 8 second cars street race.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Try removing a few extranious parts, should make it go faster.
http://corvetteforum.net/classics/gregp/65corvette.htm Desktop drag program says it should run 10.30. Only time will tell.

Go over to the forum (www.corvetteforum.com) and post in the C-2 section, you'll be amazed at the number of knowledgable people over there. Great group or people ... a lot like here actually.

-Greg
Old 05-31-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

You running an automatic?
I run a 98 Trans Am Auto LS1
Has headers, removeable cats, borla wide open catback, GM hotcam, and the secret weapon
Yank torque converter
for 700 bucks that torque converter shaved 1.1 seconds off my 1/4 mile time
I run Nitto Drag radials
Car is stock 10 bolt with 2.73's and my fastest run before the HotCam was 12.357

All you need is to get your drag raidals or slicks HOT, Burn the piss out of them, Try to hurt em, Get your 60 foot time down, a 2.60 sixty foot to me is horrible, You spun bad off the line to do that.
You get that car to hook the way it was and you will hit mid 12's no issues

If your running an auto, get a yank, best bullet proof converter money can buy and Mike at Yank will tell you which one is best for your application
Mine is a custom made 3700 stall with a torque multiplication of 2.7 so that is why I have not upped the rear gears over stock, If I got 3.42's I would start chewing them up
Have to jump to a 12 bolt or 9"
Good luck, be safe and KICK SOME ASS
Jason
Old 05-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Default I agree with above

What gear and trans? Stall conv.?

What RPMs were you running when you went through the traps?

Judging by the MPH you turned when running a 13.40, I would say you should be in the mid 12s, maybe even high 11s.

A 2.35 60' is a tire spinning mess!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Registered

Craig;

12.20 or better...who's driving?
Old 05-31-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

My 60' are between 1.51 and 1.63 (depending on Barometer, temp, humidity and how hot i get my nitto drag pigs)

Anywhere from 12.2-12.5 you should be righ there
13.40 someone spun bad or fell asleep at the light

If you get a TQ converter that stalls anywhere from 3500-4500 (i used to drive my car everyday so I thought 3700 was high enough, now i wish i had 4200 stall)

I got bashed on LS1.com for a while cause all the 6 speed boys hated us auto dudes cause for a grand, you slap a Yank or PI converter in the car and you just shaved some monster time off your runs on a regular basis, they *****ed it was like adding nitrous,
But yet it is not HAHAHAHA
Not my fault they went for the 6 spd
WOOHOO
Watch my tail lights in front of you baby
WOOHOO

How heavy is this car?
My race weight is 3250 lbs with me in it

remember this rule of thumb
Your first 60 feet detirmines if you win or loose
Jason
Old 05-31-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Default Thanks for the replies.

Here are some of the cars specs. Keep in mind this car doubles as a vintage show car.
*4 on the floor M21 close ratio trans. (we feel this is the weak point in our beefy drivetrain. If it breaks we will have to get the M22 Rock Crusher!!!)
*3.90 axle ratio.
*Centerforce 2 clutch with aluminum flywheel.
*We installed new hardened U-joints and spindles. We also put in HD half shafts. (The independent suspention is probably our second weakest point, but we have the best you can get on an old Vette.)
*We installed some sticky 8" Hoosier biased ply slicks on the rear. These clear the car body by 1/4".
*We also installed Micky Thompson biased ply fronts to help with handling issues. Both the fronts and rear are DOT approved, but not recommended for street use.
*Last we put on some full runner headers which really woke it up. I feel they provided 50 more HP.
Here is how we feel. With all of our changes made if it only turns 12.8, I guess it will be OK, but there will be some dissappointment. We will be real happy with 12.5. Best case will be an 11.99 at about 115 MPH. If we break into the 11's we won't be allowed to race anymore because there is no cage or harnesses. It would be pretty cool to say they won't let us race because the car is to fast. I will post results and hopefully I will be still smilin.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

JDNCA1, Dad is driving. It's his car so he is the man. I will be holding the video camera and will be ready to do some wrenching in the pits.

Quick Reply: OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.