Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need to get a NJ boat to Maryland. >

Need to get a NJ boat to Maryland.

Notices

Need to get a NJ boat to Maryland.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Need to get a NJ boat to Maryland.

I really want a boat that’s sitting in New Jersey (exit 8 ;-) ). The issue is the trailer needs work and it’s not like I can go up there after work a few week nights and fix it before bringing it home. I would go get the boat with my trailer but the trailer it’s sitting on is original and pretty custom to the boat. If it was sitting in my yard and after making a couple buys online I could have it fixed in a weekend. So I really want it to.
The problem is how do I get it home? Thought about renting a car trailer and loading the whole thing up (it’s only a 19’ boat) but I don’t think they are wide enough for the boat trailer. Also thought about renting, like those car wheel dollies that the old tow trucks used to carry but I can only find one place that sells them and at 1500 bucks it blows this deal out of the water (boat almost has to be a donation to make it worth fixing).
Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In SE Texas we're kind of Bubba's.
I'd fish up a few used mattresses and use a car hauling trailer.
Place one on one side and two on the other,
Lean it off the keel with the heavy side towards the two mattress's there, and cinch it to the trailer with some two or three inch nylon strap with ratchets.
It'll work like a charm!!!

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

What needs to be done to the trailer to get it to Maryland?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
What needs to be done to the trailer to get it to Maryland?
Guy says it's been sitting in the same spot for 10+ years. Flat tires, unsure bearings and springs, needs lights. Then it has to go 180 miles.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Take some spare tires and bearings and roll with it, I live right about 2 miles from the de bridge. I'm about 1/2 way. Your more than welcome to leave it here if you have any problems on your way.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Like Duck said, If you can find the right size bearings and tires bring a few spares with you. Gather up the tools and supplies you need and have a bearing packing party in the guys driveway. (if he is cool with it).
You can rig up a light bar that plugs into your truck with a long set of wires, So all you have to do is hang it on the back of the boat with some bungee cords. That would solve your light problem.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Rob at 609-548-4383, I know he can help you out.

Mike
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Duck Diggler
Take some spare tires and bearings and roll with it, I live right about 2 miles from the de bridge. I'm about 1/2 way. Your more than welcome to leave it here if you have any problems on your way.
Why thanks Duck but the last thing I want is something to happen on the NJ turnpike with a not so legal trailer. I would do a trip to fix it but the guy who has it is hurt and can tell me nothing about what would be needed.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

dont take the turnpike.. there are plenty of other ways down... pack the bearings, bring a light kit and some rachet straps.. make it as good as possible and take your time. sounds like you have some people willing to give you help along the way.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered

“sounds like you have some people willing to give you help along the way”

How cool is that!

My biggest fear is have a broken trailer in (to me) no where land. I may have to put a list together from point a to point b with everyone’s address and phone numbers.

Hey Hauling, who is Rob?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.