Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared." >

Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared."

Notices

Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared."

Old 06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

A hour at 6000 rpm plus is hard on a motor if its not built correctly. But when you get 30K-60K for a motor it should be up for the task. I agree its not to much to ask.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be my 4th time in Sunny Isles Beach for this event and it really is far more than a race - it's an event. It's as big as it gets for a boating event on the east coast.

Friday - Bimini and Back.
Saturday - Florida Powerboat Club Poker Run
Sunday - OPA Offshore Racing - we'll have about 35 race teams in attendance for Sunday's race.

If you haven't been to Sunny Isles Beach before, give it a try. It's the most modern oceanfront city in all of Floriday.

Thanks Brad and Larry for putting forth the effort to make this event happen - now in it's 4th year.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait! We'll be there!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Seems I missed a Factory-backed offshore racing team so my statement about their nonexistence is technically incorrect. I received the following information from Trent Wayent today:

"I run the Formulaboats.com OPA #400 boat. It is owned by PPE(Ted Porter) also the owner of the U-5, U-7, and U-57 Unlimited hydro teams. I am sure the name Porter sounds familiar as our team has the FULL support of the Formula factory through Ted and I report to Ted and the engineering dept fairly often with my findings in different conditions to better help them make a better product for the consumer. Kind of the same scenario that I was taught back in my days racing my Fountain."

I apologize for any confusion my error/omission may have caused.
However, Top Banana's initial point of there being a lack of such teams out there is still valid.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem Matt, I just wanted to make sure that Ted Porter and the Formula family got the credit they deserved.

Concerning, running the Bimini run, we would absolutely love to do it but our primary focus is on running and competing for the OPA Class 4 title and I dont want to take any chances the day before an OPA race cause with this being boating, anything and everything could happen lol

Thanks again,

Trent
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record the SVL #51 has done it three times.
Steve
Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Kyler Talbot and I did it in my 30' Skater Raceboat last year. We considered it right of passage and were happy to make it there and back. We made the run with a hand held GPS. Was it flat calm last year? Hell no! Was is it alittle scary? Hell YES! I don't know if we are doing it again this year, swappng powerheads and gearcases twice in 2 days was a bit much last year. But someday we'll do it again. Honestly it's not about who is it what class, it is about doing the run in a race fashion, not who can be the first to the bar. I applaude anyone that makes this run, it IS an accomplishtment to got out and BEAT IT for 100+ miles not just a minute here and there. Several of the east coast heavy hitter poker runners have done this run and I think thats awesome. People that make exscuses year after year just don't know what they are missing. This run is what our fascination was founded on and our sport was based off of. I only wish I could have been around back in the day that this ws a full blown RACE but now I race the hand I am dealt! Everyone should support this type of run if at all possible, I know at least one group of guys that are supposed to check it off there bucket list this year in there perfect non step top gun! We'll be in town for the OPA race on Sunday and around all weekend if anyone needs any help. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Kyler Talbot and I did it in my 30' Skater Raceboat last year. We considered it right of passage and were happy to make it there and back. We made the run with a hand held GPS. Was it flat calm last year? Hell no! Was is it alittle scary? Hell YES! I don't know if we are doing it again this year, swappng powerheads and gearcases twice in 2 days was a bit much last year. But someday we'll do it again. Honestly it's not about who is it what class, it is about doing the run in a race fashion, not who can be the first to the bar. I applaude anyone that makes this run, it IS an accomplishtment to got out and BEAT IT for 100+ miles not just a minute here and there. Several of the east coast heavy hitter poker runners have done this run and I think thats awesome. People that make exscuses year after year just don't know what they are missing. This run is what our fascination was founded on and our sport was based off of. I only wish I could have been around back in the day that this ws a full blown RACE but now I race the hand I am dealt! Everyone should support this type of run if at all possible, I know at least one group of guys that are supposed to check it off there bucket list this year in there perfect non step top gun! We'll be in town for the OPA race on Sunday and around all weekend if anyone needs any help. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
great comment.
ed
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

If your boat sinks in this race will your insurance cover it?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.