Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits "no disipline" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255148-outerlimits-no-disipline.html)

xconn92 06-05-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by richanton (Post 3420841)
99% of the the performance boat owners that I have met are responsible operators who have taken the time to learn the safe operation of their equipment. This perception that many speedboat owners have more money than brains, or feel that they are above the law, bugs me. Let's face it- money doesn't fall out of the sky anymore so if you are still able to own, maintain, and operate one of these boats today chances are that you have a head on your shoulders and have been successful in many aspects of your life.

I don't know anything about the specific situation, or boat, being discussed here. I do know that there is a way to go fast safely, and just because you are going fast does not automatically mean that you are doing anything wrong despite what the bitter sailboaters want to believe. Sure, we have a duty to be careful in crowded areas and go slow when necessary. But, jet skiers and guys in little flats boats have just as much of an obligation to adhere to the rules of the road and avoid us just as we try to avoid them. I know that they think that they are in the right and I'm in the the wrong just because my boat is bigger, or loader, or faster, so they can do whatever they want, but that just isn't the case.

+++1
Far too well thought out of a post for a weekend:grinser010:

Here's Johnny 06-06-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3421046)
Johnny, boat looked CLEAN at braccos. You looked pretty busy, didn't want to bother you. Boat sounded pretty healthy when ya pulled out. :coolcowboy:

Here is the cut he is referring too...

Thanks......never to busy.....next time say hello.....I seen you pull in and knew it was you....I just lost track of where you went...I didn't want to introduce myself to one of your friends and look like an idiot......next time I see your boat at your house I am going to pull over and introduce myself.......and your boat is looking and sounding sweet too.......

Stormrider 06-06-2011 10:19 AM

Mastercraft240 and Johnny, I'm fairly familiar w/ these flats and the activity that goes on here. Do either of you run 70-80 in these cuts? And IMO, reynolds channel is a different ballgame than the backwaters.

BTW, i don't think it's the Jetskiers i'd be concerned with, its small skiffs drifting for flounder, or waterskiiers, or even kids swimming off the boats(not smart, but happens).

IMO, 45-50 is about the max i'd wanna be going in these waters. Visibility at speed becomes an issue while making blind turns.

Stormrider 06-06-2011 10:25 AM

Responsiblity. My father still slows down his 40ft sportfisher for small boats drifting in the channel, as not to rock them or cause a dangerous situation; ie: having someone falldown, or even overboard.

It doesn't take much to cause a disaster on the water.
Why not try to limit the probability?

Also, at the point where speed was seen per the OP, the boat was probably all of 12 minutes from the inlet to the Atlantic, at idle speed. I think the OP's main point is, why not play where it's safe?

I've ran these water's w/ MagnumMark in his old 41... from Al Grovers and out the inlet. He would get up on plane in a no wake zone, but he was never over 40-45. He's been running those waters since the 60s.

Mastercraft240 06-06-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny (Post 3421220)
Thanks......never to busy.....next time say hello.....I seen you pull in and knew it was you....I just lost track of where you went...I didn't want to introduce myself to one of your friends and look like an idiot......next time I see your boat at your house I am going to pull over and introduce myself.......and your boat is looking and sounding sweet too.......

Looking forward to it Johnny!

Stormrider,
I usually stay under 55 and frequently drop into the 30's to navigate outside of the traffic. I'm not too sure no decline was pulling 80 in there. He waited quite a while to start up after going under the loop parkway bridge.

ActiveFun 06-06-2011 11:01 AM

This is a useless thread. What does "Running around the Freeport area" mean? A few of us "run around the Freeport area all the time" This is all hearsay. I've never seen any performance powerboater in my area speed in a no wake zone, or be unsafe, actually I believe we are much safer and respect the rules more than most. We already know we have the police and bay constables looking at us.

Here's Johnny 06-06-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ActiveFun (Post 3421553)
This is a useless thread. What does "Running around the Freeport area" mean? A few of us "run around the Freeport area all the time" This is all hearsay. I've never seen any performance powerboater in my area speed in a no wake zone, or be unsafe, actually I believe we are much safer and respect the rules more than most. We already know we have the police and bay constables looking at us.

I agree......and besides 99% of the time I am running no faster then 30mph......people just think I am going 80mph because it sounds like I am.......

Stormrider 06-06-2011 04:04 PM

I agree, its all hearsay.
But I do remember the accident with the hustler.
And i thought you guys wouldn't be running those speeds in the 'creeks'.

BTW does this OL have an orange/red color scheme?
There used to be one on a lift in Long Beach.

Mastercraft240 06-06-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3421882)
I agree, its all hearsay.
But I do remember the accident with the hustler.
And i thought you guys wouldn't be running those speeds in the 'creeks'.

BTW does this OL have an orange/red color scheme?
There used to be one on a lift in Long Beach.

Thats Joey's boat. I believe a 39 Quatro with 525's.

quicklt1 06-06-2011 05:41 PM

I really only wanted to convey the point ..to be safe ..thats all..and I am glad the post just gives everyone something to think about..