Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Your state could be next!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255174-your-state-could-next.html)

X-Rated30 06-13-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3427808)
Good quote, and lawyers are useful, and just like anything there are good and bad ones out there. They can be worth their weight in gold. The problem with our legal system is it has turned into a money based one. The DA's and public defenders of the world are concerned with getting as many convictions as they can without going to court with plea bargaining, which don't get me wrong is not a bad thing all the time. Then private attorneys want to hit every since technicality they can to get off you, which then they can charge you big bucks. Funny this is that lawyer plays golf with the DA and already knows that what kind of deal he can get for that crime. The biggest problem with society is lawyers have created a sue happy society. People sue just to sue, it's rediculous, it ends up clogging our legal system up and costing tax payers money.

Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance of how the system works, yet again. Your first two sentences are correct. After that you go back to praddling on about things of which you are completely clueless.

I don't play golf. I don't hang out with prosecutors. And, you might look into those "technicalities" you keep mentioning. You can start by looking here: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html If I don't make the government(s) observe your rights, who will? Yes, I am privately retained, and I am paid very well, but that is because I do my job well.

Smarty 06-13-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by X-Rated30 (Post 3428236)
Thank you for demonstrating your ignorance of how the system works, yet again. Your first two sentences are correct. After that you go back to praddling on about things of which you are completely clueless.

I don't play golf. I don't hang out with prosecutors. And, you might look into those "technicalities" you keep mentioning. You can start by looking here: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html If I don't make the government(s) observe your rights, who will? Yes, I am privately retained, and I am paid very well, but that is because I do my job well.

Golfing with the Prosecutor, that cracks me up. If I ever get jammed up in Louisiana I am calling you for help.

I like your choice of boat too, knew we more in common that being lawyers. I would drink beer with a Prosecutor (if invited), but that never has happened, so golf is definitely out of the question. Funny how the general public perceives what lawyers do and how we get it done.

cplouis 06-13-2011 05:27 PM

Know your rights. They can save your butt!

I, like every sane person, do not advocate operating a boat, car or anything that may cause danger to one self, property and most particularly to others while under the influence of any mind or ability altering substance. However, with regard to an officer of the law boarding your boat, if you are below deck out of plain sight and/or doors are closed, the water cop better have a warrant to enter your qualified "Second Home"! I have gone through this with an RV while camping in a CA state park. I asked the Ranger what he wanted and I did not get a clear or reasonable answer. We were playing poker and drinking beer and wine. Nobody was intoxicated. I could have been more cooperative, but I didn't like the park Nazi attitude and we were technically gambling in CA, so I refused to open the door. We had a discussion through the door and the calmer that I spoke the more the Ranger yelled and made threats. Nevertheless, I stood fast, refused to open the door and told him that if he wanted to enter he needed a court order to enter with specific cause. The crowd that gathered was quite amused and the Ranger was sizzling pissed. But the Ranger did leave with an empty truck and did not return.

"Probable Cause" is not a state regulation. A search warrant is needed anywhere in the US of A or within the jurisdiction of the US of A without probable cause or in the heat of pursuit. If you are in plain sight, well that is a different situation. However behind closed doors or below deck out of plain sight while in your "Second Home"? No warrant = No search-No seizure of property-No arrest. Know your rights. They can save your butt!

scarab63 06-13-2011 06:38 PM

I really don't give a fukk about this thread anymore, but I'm addicted !! I love seeing fount0442 get verbally dismantled !! I myself love to argue if I'm right.... but would I argue law with multiple seemingly successful lawyers? ? HELL NO.

please fount0442 keep fighting ! Its great.

Once your done I know of a great forum where you can debate physics with physicists then math with a mathematician ...

C where I'm headed?

Keep up the good work!!!!!

PhantomChaos 06-13-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3428256)
Golfing with the Prosecutor, that cracks me up. If I ever get jammed up in Louisiana I am calling you for help.

I like your choice of boat too, knew we more in common that being lawyers. I would drink beer with a Prosecutor (if invited), but that never has happened, so golf is definitely out of the question. Funny how the general public perceives what lawyers do and how we get it done.

The Fountain "yoot" has watched Cousin Vinnie while stationed in those places so he knows it all. :drink::drink: He really needs to step back and take his seat.

X-Rated30 06-14-2011 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3428256)
Golfing with the Prosecutor, that cracks me up.

Heck - I don't know many that can afford to golf! LOL:lolhit:

X-Rated30 06-14-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3428682)
And if you are lawyer and are not at least aquaintences with the your DA, then your not a very good one.

So you WANT a lawyer that is friends with the prosecutor? Is he going to be on your side or his friend's side? Who's interest is that lawyer looking out for? I can assure you I can come to your hometown without knowing anyone and get a good result, and generally my result will be better than that guy that is "acquainted" with the DA.

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3428687)
In the state of OK you just better be careful and hope the police aren't bastards.

Finally, you give some accurate advice, but it is true in any state.

DucBoy 06-14-2011 12:46 PM

double post - sorry