Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cut off by one of our own - stay alert... >

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Notices

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Hey Chuck . . . . . . did you do one short audible blast on the horn while overtaking? One for stbd or two for port while passing ya know . . . . . course doing a "crazy Ivan" aint much better

Hate to say it Chuck but its your obligation to first make sure the other vessel knows your there and your intention before you proceed. Especially with performance boats, i think we may tend to get complacent in the thought that no one comes up on us.

Overtaking Another Vessel It’s legal to overtake another boat by passing either to port or to starboard. The Collision Regulations state that a vessel intending to overtake another on its starboard side should sound one blast on the horn. The vessel to be overtaken, after ensuring that the starboard side is clear, should respond with a single blast indicating that overtaking boat should proceed. Where the intention is to pass to port, the overtaking vessel should sound two blasts on the horn indicating their intention. The vessel to be overtaken, after ensuring that the port side is clear, should respond with two blasts indicating that the overtaking vessel should proceed.
Bingo, if you are doing things by the book.

I ride motorcycles and have been ever since I was 7, but do remember something my dad used to always say.

It's good to be right.
But it isn't good to be dead right.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who here has been able to hear a horn (besides yours) in a go-fast at 50 mph??? Most of my friends have assured me that they heard my engines well before I was near them.

Without being able to create some fancy animation, it's hard to explain how things transpired. The whole thing took about 3-4 minutes. Our closing speed was no more than 2 mph.

He had twice moved towards the left side of the river, then eased back towards the center where I was running. Each time, he had come back a bit further right and straightened back up as if he was headed further up the river. Each time, I had moved right a bit as well. I intentionally selected the right side to pass, as he seemed more interested in the left shoreline.
If I had decided to pass to his left, and he had turned left (again), I would still have been in the wrong place. At any rate, I was already easing further away from him when he turned. If I had turned left without slowing, I would have t-boned him. Remember as well, he took no evasive action once he saw that he was turning into me; he just continued his turn...

The formal Rules of the Road (ColRegs) are not absolute, but they are pretty much arranged in order of priority, and Rule #1 is Maintain a proper lookout. That means: know who is around you.

The point here is not so much to assign blame, but to get us all to think. I for one, will remain vigilant.

Last edited by C_Spray; 06-06-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good captain knows his position and the position and track of all vessels around.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Who here has been able to hear a horn (besides yours) in a go-fast at 50 mph??? Most of my friends have assured me that they heard my engines well before I was near them.

Without being able to create some fancy animation, it's hard to explain how things transpired. The whole thing took about 3-4 minutes.

He had twice moved towards the left side of the river, then eased back towards the center where I was running. Each time, he had come back a bit further right and straightened back up as if he was headed further up the river. Each time, I had moved right a bit as well. I intentionally selected the right side to pass, as he seemed more interested in the left shoreline.
If I had decided to pass to his left, and he had turned left (again), I would still have been in the wrong place. At any rate, I was already easing further away from him when he turned. If I had turned left without slowing, I would have t-boned him. Remember as well, he took no evasive action once he saw that he was turning into me; he just continued his turn...

The formal Rules of the Road (ColRegs) are not absolute, but they are pretty much arranged in order of priority, and Rule #1 is Maintain a proper lookout. That means: know who is around you.

The point here is not so much to assign blame, but to get us all to think. I for one, will remain vigilant.

point taken, i agree lets be careful out there. Its unfortunate the amount of boaters out there that have no clue and probably never will. Cant tell you how many times i could have run someone over simply because i had right of way and they were clueless. You are correct . . . . . be vigilant and know who is around you. Safe boating everyone.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rambo and his silver formula strike again

Seriously though, boats are like bikes, drive like you are invisible never fails. Because if they never see you you are invisible until it is all over.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Completely understand the confusion, and how you saw it. All you can do is be defensive, and always Assume the other guy will do something stupid.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see most boaters dont look behind them when there running,veering etc

2 guys I ride with sometimes also dont look behind them

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

With the spray coming off the back of these boats the blind spots are too big to assume someone sees you even if they look.

50' is a little over a boat length.....

I had a skeg break off at 75mph yesterday and if someone would have been on my port 50' behind me it would have been tragic for both of us. We need to give each other more room than that. Things break and people make errors....
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like that river is to damned small..
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The horns that come on the boat from the factory are worthless.I keep one of those can air with the plastic horn in the cup holder.....Yes I know there is supposed to be a beer in there but I'm weird what can I say.
Yes he should have looked but the overtaking boat also has a responsibility to make his presence known.I know it works because when I am in close to another boat and want to pass in a channel that is only a couple of hundred feet wide I always signal and wait for the other operator to make eye contact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.