Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cut off by one of our own - stay alert... >

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Notices

Cut off by one of our own - stay alert...

Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good points, but please everyone, never initiate a turn or any dramatic course change without looking around first.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are old pilots and there bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots ...... We've heard that for ever and it's true ....... Always clear your turns .......
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
All good points, but please everyone, never initiate a turn or any dramatic course change without looking around first.
It's that simple...not sure why some have issues with that. I guess they are the types who don't look before they cross the street too.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

USCG RULE 13: OVERTAKING

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules [of Part B, Sections I and II / 4 through 18], any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.
But personally, I never change direction before first looking behind me.

Last edited by CigDaze; 06-07-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

My question is why was the other boat on the left (wrong) side of the river? If he had been on the right side of the river where he belonged C Spray could have passed him with no problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Add stopping to that look behind list.

BTW, I boat with c spray and can say he is probably the safest boater going. It sounds like the fountain made the same move I see 90% of jetski operators make. But I do agree with what someone said earlier and that is us perf boat operators aren't accustom to boats overtaking. Good conversation indeed.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
This rule does not give license to the overtaken boat to drastically change course without looking. Chuck actually abided this rule - to the letter - and thus saved his life, the life of his passengers, those in the other boat, including the driver who NEVER should have turned without looking first.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
and always Assume the other guy will do something stupid.
Thats probably the best advice. Weather Im in a car, boat or bicycle, I never trust the other guy.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
A good captain knows his position and the position and track of all vessels around.
Well said.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
This rule does not give license to the overtaken boat to drastically change course without looking. Chuck actually abided this rule - to the letter - and thus saved his life, the life of his passengers, those in the other boat, including the driver who NEVER should have turned without looking first.
Of course not, I completely and wholeheartedly agree.

This is the critical part:
USCG RULE 13: OVERTAKING

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel...
The fountain initiated a subsequent alteration whereby he forced Chuck to become a crossing vessel. This was a direct violation by the Fountain.

Furthermore:

Rule 17

(a)
1. Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
In this instance Chuck was the give-way vessel (overtaking), and the Fountain is the stand-on vessel (overtaken). The Fountain should have maintained her course and speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.