Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255688-oil-filter-stuck-tried-everything.html)

MrCIG 06-12-2011 09:34 PM

Silly question, but you guyshaving trouble with removing your filters are you putting oil on the gasket before putting the filter on?

Sorry no addtional advice on removal other then what has already been mentioned

tinman565 06-12-2011 10:02 PM

yes...was taught that when I was about 7...lol. I think personally that I'm turning them too much for fear of oil getting all over my bilge while running. :(

Expensive Date 06-12-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by tinman565 (Post 3427572)
I struggle with mine too. This year I got to use the gigantic channel-locks on em (what fun !!!). I had to squeeze the bejesus outta the canisters. So are we putting them on too tight ? I also use a clean, dry towel...then just hand power to install. I think it says on the box to go 1/4 turn past initial gasket contact. I was always leary of that, so I turned em a bit more (probably too much). Are we all tightening them too far ? :(

I got tired of fighting with them so I started going only 1/4 turn.They don't leak and are easier to get off.And I always put oil on the O-ring.

tinman565 06-12-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Expensive Date (Post 3427632)
I got tired of fighting with them so I started going only 1/4 turn.They don't leak and are easier to get off.And I always put oil on the O-ring.

I'll start only turning them 1/4 turn sir... but you better come runnin from Jersey with a hand full of SHAM-WOW'S if they leak !!!!! lol :drink:

bert4332 06-12-2011 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fastscarab22 (Post 3427484)
Is there any way to use a bigger handle on the screw driver, put a steel tube on the handle and that would increase your tork. And just get a good turn on it maybe

All the screw driver did was rip the can.

bert4332 06-12-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by boats74 (Post 3427471)
Mine was the same way last winter. I ended up making a "tool" because the canister was torn apart. Took a piece of wood and using the new one as a template, put two bolts through the wood that would go into the openings on the screw-on part. Got what was left of it off easily. My bilge is still a mess though.

PICS PLEASE!!!!!

bert4332 06-12-2011 10:41 PM

While in the bilge I took a sawzall to it, got rid of 90% of the can, sawed into the base of the can on the edge so my screw driver could get the most amount of torque, and I tried my best whacking the screw driver with the hammer, didn't budge, but my knuckle on my hand is nice and bruised.!!!!

I'm just going to remove the hoses and the adapter, put in a vice. This way I have a much better swing and if I miss and destroy my adapter, I DON'T CARE because I'm so pissed right now!!!!!!!

EOM

mudslide 06-12-2011 10:44 PM

I used a pipe wrench down by the base of the filter. It will crush a little then it should break loose. Put a pipe on the wrench if you have to. Good luck

tinman565 06-12-2011 10:47 PM

If your gonna do that...then try getting the filter top (part with the o-ring) into the vise. Squeeze the nuts outta it...and turn your adapter. This way your not whacking anything. :drink: