Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Notices

Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
That's awesome, you must have had fun! I would have been really pissed had I wanted to go out and that find that filter leaking. How are the engines running now?
Yeah, it was a blast! Of course I'm still babying it, so I couldn't get to crazy, but it was great to be back behind the wheel.

Might go up one more size on the carb jets, but its running great so far.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just another note for you guys to try.

Instead of placing the strap type wrench at the end of the filter where the notches are, place it as close to the gasket end of the filter as possible. Less chance of crushing and twisting the filter and making more of a mess. I oil the o-ring up on the new filter, and go hand tight with a rag. Anything more than that your asking for problems! You're not torquing down cylinder heads! I think alot of the problem with boats is being a remote filter, its very accessible and guys get carried away tightening them. On cars, usually you can't access the filter as well, and tend not to be overtightened.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered

I thought I was the only one having problems removing my filters at oil changes.....

Another option may be using the K and N filters with the
1" nut welded to it.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

MAKE sure no debree falls down those oil holes when you're ripping the filter apart. Some little plastic pieces fell down mine and I had to take the oil line off to get them out. I was told the oil line goes straight to the main bearings so obviously dont want stuff in there.

Ripping the filter off to the base plate is what happened to mine. Then went to Lowes and bought a BIG pipe wrench to remove base plate. Spun right off after that.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by motoboy
MAKE sure no debree falls down those oil holes when you're ripping the filter apart. Some little plastic pieces fell down mine and I had to take the oil line off to get them out. I was told the oil line goes straight to the main bearings so obviously dont want stuff in there.

Ripping the filter off to the base plate is what happened to mine. Then went to Lowes and bought a BIG pipe wrench to remove base plate. Spun right off after that.
I have not idea if anything fell in, I've already had running now on the trailer several times, just hope nothing went in.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountainwoman
I thought I was the only one having problems removing my filters at oil changes.....

Another option may be using the K and N filters with the
1" nut welded to it.
That's all I use, I think I'm going to send an email to the shop that did the last maintenance and with a blow photo saying PAY ATTENTION !!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

Hey Guys
Not sure if this was mentioned, i didnt have time to read all posts.
I smear a thin film of wheel bearing grease just on the top of the o ring surface (seems to last longer than the film of oil), just be sure not to get any inside the catridge, you dont need much. And definately dont tighten more than 1/4 turn! As you can see they definatley aint comin off in a hurry, even at 1/4 turn it takes fair effort with filter wrench so no need to tighten begeesus out of it.
It always amazes me though how its the most simple of jobs (normally done just before you plan to hit the water) that become bigger than ben hur, involving engine parts being removed and massive torque wrenches. The amount of times my wife has headed to the car with the kids for a day of boating only to see me arms deep in grease, oil or fuel and a critical engine component locked in the vise.
Its why we love it im sure!!
Old 04-08-2021, 05:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks to whoever recommended using a BIG set of channel locks....90 minute battle with this phucker today. Filter wrench, no Bueno.. Big screwdriver, no Bueno... Exacto knife, no Bueno.... Channel locks... Bueno!!! I won, but it put up one hell of a fight! LOL I wish that I could blame it on whoever put it on....but would be me, 4 months ago! SMH

Last edited by OldSchool; 04-08-2021 at 06:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldSchool:
Gimme Fuel (04-09-2021), Indy (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Giant Channel locks, Giant screwdriver driven through filter, Air chisel on filter base. In that order!
Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

dammmmm....
I had a fuel filter that was stuck on so bad it was destroying the mount. I ended up taking the whole mount off the engine so I could stick it in a vice. drove a 2' long screwdriver through it and breaker bar'd that F'r...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.