If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Cool tips for a 27' sutphen with arnesons

yeah i was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for me, i have an 1987 27 foot sutphen rumrunner, i have twin high performance 406's with arneson asd6 surface drives on it, taking off is fine but once i open it up it gets ancy, i get to about 85 and have to get offf the throttle. any tips or ideas.

speel chekk this fokker! Charter Member puder's Avatar
    My Boats:
    27' Scarab
    Locust Valley, New York
    i bet she has alot more than 85mph in her....
    Pardon me, while I whip this out!

My Boats:
    2000 Concept 22
    Winthrop, MA USA
    Anthony: That is a nice boat you've got. Do you have any pics you can post, I am also a Sutphen owner, they are great boats. What sort of trim tabs do you run on yours, maybe the high speed handling would improve with bigger tabs? If I'm not mistaken, your boat has a 26 degree bottom, great for rough water. Good luck....Matt

i currently do not have pics but i will soon, right now i have a set of k planes on that are id say at most 19 inches long, plus it use to be really bad especially gettingon plane so i added the stabilizers on the drives that arneson has, those helped a litlle but i need more, know what i mean, i just want to be ale to open it. thanks

1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson Platinum Member GEOO's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Boating, scuba, fishing

Give me a call (Bob has my #), I can meet you at BlueLightning and I'll see if I can help. My 18 footer run's well at higher speeds. Maybe we can compare set ups and see if anything is different? Angle of the fins, slop in steering etc... George

Have you tried the new Arneson standoff box that they are making now?

They would help pull the CG more rearward and help if the bow seems to low.

ok cool thanks guys, i appreciate the help, my boat is at bobby's right now. ill talk to him give you a ring.

My Boats:
    was that you making all that noise last weekend?--i heard someone hammering down all the way from my house near king st.?---the scarab is gone--running a 22' velocity now--john

Charter Member Charter Member Katdrvr's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '84' Chris Cat '82' Excalbur Hawk 40 '93' Scarab Sprint
    Gretna, Ne
    I had a 30' Sutphen with Kamma's and it would run very well. You need to get the long K plane's, they are 30" long I think. Also on my 30 they had blocks on the rams so the tabs would not come up past parrallel with the bottom of the hull. I removed the blocks on mine to se what whould happen..... CHINE WALK......

I talked to several people who raced Sutphens and almost all of them told me the boat is much better with a normal outdrives.

Call the Sutphen factory (239) 574-1155. Ask for Ritchie. Every time I called with a question they were always willing to talk. Also if you are near Cape Coral, FL. Stop by the factory.

No jon that wasnt me, the boat has been out of the water still, i just got the props lab finished, and the transmission is out too because it was slipping at the end of last year, i should be in within a week.

my kplanes are about 19-20 inches long now, 30 holy crapola, we will see how it runs in a week, i am geting stabilixers on the drives right now, supposiveely they make a big difference.