Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2003 Sunsation 288 whacha think ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255937-2003-sunsation-288-whacha-think.html)

fountainfan42 06-16-2011 09:19 AM

2003 Sunsation 288 whacha think ???

2003 Sunsation 288 found this on ebay and shows like new but 265 hours sounds a lil high any ideas whay she's worth ??? would make a nice river boat for back & forth to the beach .thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270765755125

boatnt 06-16-2011 09:29 AM

thats only about 35 hours a season,,,,low hour boat if you ask me..

I say 50-55k

THE 288 KID 06-16-2011 09:35 AM

I wouldn't say those hours are high at all...

3 things I don't like about that boat tho, its purple, its an open bow, and it doesn't have the H.O.

But it sounds like its what Ur looking for purpose wise and id highly recommend a Sunsation.

If u have any questions feel free to pm me perhaps I can answer them

ChrisSunsation 06-16-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by fountainfan42 (Post 3430623)
2003 Sunsation 288 found this on ebay and shows like new but 265 hours sounds a lil high any ideas whay she's worth ??? would make a nice river boat for back & forth to the beach .thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270765755125

I just pulled the file on this boat and it has a clean bill of health, (ie no warranty claims or red flags on our end)

If you have any other questions give me a call at the factory
810-794-4888

Chris

fountainfan42 06-16-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3430627)
thats only about 35 hours a season,,,,low hour boat if you ask me..

I say 50-55k

thanks ,lets see if i can stay high bidder :drink:

VetteLT193 06-16-2011 10:56 AM

I looked at them before buying my Donzi 28 ZXO. I think Sunsation actually has a better thought out design than Donzi. The Micro, sink, fridge, porta potty gets you a tax write off I think. The cabin is bigger and the bow area is pushed all the way forward where Donzi maintains the anchor locker and it eats up some space. I think the Donzi looks a little sexier because it doesn't have the flat area in front of the windshield. In the end most of the checkmarks went to Sunsation... and I'm a huge Donzi fan so that's saying a lot.

Now all that said, I didn't go sunsation because of the single engine. It's a lot of boat for a single 496, especially when you have a party on board. It seems that this style boat attracts friends like flies and when you have 10 people on board it would be nice to get on plane on the way to the sand bar.

For the Donzi ZXO the single 496HO runs about 10 MPH slower than the twin 6.2's and I couldn't imagine having less power than I do now so I don't think I would enjoy the boat nearly as much. My guess is the Sunsation with the 496 will run about 60 in good conditions. My fast cruise with cruising props is 55.

To me, all of the PITA features of having a sterndrive boat (beaching, draft, etc) are more than made up for with speed and / performance in general. But with the Sunsation you get a pretty fast bow rider Vs. a Performance boat that happens to have an open bow. I still couldn't see skiing behind it (too big) and couldn't see distance cruising with it (one engine) and it's not really a top end machine so where does it fit in?

That sunsation 32 MCOB though... that's a beast with a couple of Big Blocks. possibly our next boat

fountainfan42 06-16-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisSunsation (Post 3430636)
I just pulled the file on this boat and it has a clean bill of health, (ie no warranty claims or red flags on our end)

If you have any other questions give me a call at the factory
810-794-4888

Chris

thank you :coolcowboy:

Beachbum28 06-16-2011 10:31 PM

I agree with VetteLt193, spent a month of my time tracking down a Sunsation, even making a 800 mile round trip to veiw one. I could not pull the trigger. I did buy a Donzi ZXO, and spent another 10K, but to this day I still think the Sunsation has a much better mid- cabin. I wanted a go fast boat and the wife demanded an open bow. The twin 350 mags are lot of fun in my Donzi, I look forward to finding the right Sunsation 32 MCOB with ho"s.

low_psi 06-16-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by fountainfan42 (Post 3430641)
thanks ,lets see if i can stay high bidder :drink:

Don't bid until the last few seconds, if you really want it. Sniping is usually the best way to win an item..... Wait till about 20 seconds to go and place the max you want to spend.

sunsation96 06-17-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 3430714)
I looked at them before buying my Donzi 28 ZXO. I think Sunsation actually has a better thought out design than Donzi. The Micro, sink, fridge, porta potty gets you a tax write off I think. The cabin is bigger and the bow area is pushed all the way forward where Donzi maintains the anchor locker and it eats up some space. I think the Donzi looks a little sexier because it doesn't have the flat area in front of the windshield. In the end most of the checkmarks went to Sunsation... and I'm a huge Donzi fan so that's saying a lot.

Now all that said, I didn't go sunsation because of the single engine. It's a lot of boat for a single 496, especially when you have a party on board. It seems that this style boat attracts friends like flies and when you have 10 people on board it would be nice to get on plane on the way to the sand bar.

For the Donzi ZXO the single 496HO runs about 10 MPH slower than the twin 6.2's and I couldn't imagine having less power than I do now so I don't think I would enjoy the boat nearly as much. My guess is the Sunsation with the 496 will run about 60 in good conditions. My fast cruise with cruising props is 55.

To me, all of the PITA features of having a sterndrive boat (beaching, draft, etc) are more than made up for with speed and / performance in general. But with the Sunsation you get a pretty fast bow rider Vs. a Performance boat that happens to have an open bow. I still couldn't see skiing behind it (too big) and couldn't see distance cruising with it (one engine) and it's not really a top end machine so where does it fit in?

That sunsation 32 MCOB though... that's a beast with a couple of Big Blocks. possibly our next boat

Nice write up:coolcowboy:

Wow what a clean 288 nice boat