Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shipping into US... Brokerage fee? >

Shipping into US... Brokerage fee?

Notices

Shipping into US... Brokerage fee?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping into US... Brokerage fee?

Ok sorry if this is in the wrong section but i feel like ive just been raped with my pants on.

Cliff notes.... Bought a set of props from a guy here on the board from canada (didnt realize it till after i bought them). Shipping them to delaware. no worries he sent the props i paid the shipping.... i thought all good.

Got a call from some branch of fedex saying i need to pay a 40some dollar brokerage fee to get them here. Because of the cost of the item it has to be electronically submitted to customs and they (fedex) charge a fee to do so.

She couldnt give me any straight answer as to why after paying shipping that its now on hold and i have to pay more.

anyone else deal with this.... ive never shipped anything big into the country.

Im just a lil pissed.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

40 bucks is cheap.....pay them. Trust me.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Deal with this everyday.

Anytime you import something into the US you have to pay US Customs import fees unless it's an item that is duty free. When shipping with FedEx you have the option to select whether or not you want to pay the import duties along with the shipping charges, you can also clearly indicate that you DON'T want to pay the import duties and then the recipient will have to pay the import duties, this is what happened here.

So long story short, you have no option, you have to pay and like previous poster said...pay them, $40 is cheap. With FedEx you usually have 5 days before they will return the item to the sender and then you will have to pay shipping AND import all over again.

It definitely sucks but it's a lesson learned and when you buy international again make sure to ask who will cover import duties.