Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
World Record Attempt - NYC to Bermuda >

World Record Attempt - NYC to Bermuda

Notices

World Record Attempt - NYC to Bermuda

Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a recording from our streaming video system which shows the air ride suspension in action:
http://swampjaw.com/temp/download/BC_HighSpeed.wmv
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Pstorti - The biggest difference I have seen between the Cummins Mercruiser Diesel TDI 350 engines and the 315 Yanmars in this hull is acceleration. The 315 Yanmar turbolag is significant. With the twin VGT turbo's, the TDI engines bring the boat on plane very quickly.

We are still dialing the boat in and will report our final performance numbers shortly.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Default Marathon Around Long Island

Nice set-up...why not try the 'DON ARONOW 271 mile MEMORIAL MARATHON Around Long Island' on Sept 24th...

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 09-19-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Please contact OSO about advertising
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Registered

Awesome! Good luck!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

Were still hoping to make our Bermuda Challenge World Record run this year - the weather just hasn't cooperated this last month to allow us to take a shot. We are all dialed in and ready to go and monitoring the weater daily hoping for a window to make the run.

While we have been waiting, we have continued to make adjustments to the boat and make sure she is as ready as she can be. Right now, our best cruise is at 32kts getting 2.08 MPG. We changed the gear ratio in the lower units to 1.81 to allow the engines to run lightly loaded at our desired cruise speed. It slowed our overall top speed down to 53mph, but it will help ensure we don't overwork the engines during the long run with an extremely heavy load of equipment and fuel. The new Cummins Mercruiser Diesel TDI engines we have are very impressive. In fact, the boat actually comes on plane like an outboard powered boat, thanks in part to the variable geometry twin-turbochargers.

The air ride suspension system is also dialed in and working great. It takes all the vibration out of the boat and really reduced crew fatigue.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate soon so we can put all our hard work to the test
Old 09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Looking forward to this !!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Big Blue Water

Not knowing a lot about the conditions out there between New York and Bermuda I would suspect that even in average good weather that the wave heights and wind wave conditions might require a cruise speed more like maybe 25kts on average, but thats just my educated blue water cruising expierence. I think I would plan on an average cruise speed more like this and use the any encountered good water conditions to see speeds closer to 32-40kts.
Like the old big water boaters mantra, go as fast as you can while you can and go as fast as conditions will allow when you can't!
Hopefully the laws of averages will give you the record!
In any event Best of Luck and Conditions and be safe out there!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Sweet.
Whats your total fuel capacity? 400 gallons or so?
Lot of weight.

Best of luck
MD
Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lock with the trip, and with that air ride suspension it should be a great ride. The only CC i know where you can
sit up front and not get beat up in the rough water.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Raylar,

I love your quote:

"go as fast as you can while you can and go as fast as conditions will allow when you can't!"

That sumis up our game plan perfectly! We will have 560 gallons of fuel onboard to take advantage of calm weather if were lucky or to counter bad weather and poor fuel economy if it's rougher than forecasted.

On race day, everyone will be able to follow along from the comfort of your recliner as we will be streaming live video from the helm of the boat to Boating Magazine's website at the following link: www.boatingmag.com/bermudachallenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.