Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   World Record Attempt - NYC to Bermuda (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/256227-world-record-attempt-nyc-bermuda.html)

cwfdive 06-20-2011 08:33 PM

World Record Attempt - NYC to Bermuda

Ok guys – this project has been a long time in the making but I am proud to finally introduce Team TDI CLEAN DIESEL and our upcoming attempt to break the current Bermuda Challenge© World Record from New York City to Bermuda, non-stop. The rules of Boating Magazine’s challenge are simple, your boat must be trailerable, less than 40’ in length, and you must make the 780 mile trip from the Statue of Liberty to St. Georges, Bermuda without refueling.
The current record, set by Neil Burnie in a 306 Prowler back in 2002, stands at 22 hours and 23 minutes. We hope to break that record later this summer and we will be streaming live video and audio to the web during our run so you can cheer us on as we make our way across the gulf stream, through the Bermuda Triangle towards the finish line in St. Georges!
Our boat is a 37’ Statement Marine center console with air-ride suspension and she is powered by twin Cummins Mercruiser Diesel TDI 350 engines and XR drives. We have Turtle-pac fuel bladders installed in the boat to increase our range to make it to Bermuda and allow for a modest safety margin incase we run into heavier weather than predicted.
Over the next several weeks our team will be preparing for the race and we look forward to providing regular updates on our progress as we get ready for race day.
For more information, please friend us on Facebook (TDI CLEANDIESEL), and visit our webpage at www.boatingmag.com/bermudachallenge.

Thanks for your support!

Chris Fertig
TDI Clean Diesel

vette131 06-20-2011 10:05 PM

Good luck!

BY U BOY 06-20-2011 10:15 PM

Very cool. Good luck.

pstorti 06-20-2011 10:15 PM

Nice boat and good luck!

SS930 06-21-2011 06:22 AM

Sounds exciting, looking forward to it!

Question... Wouldn't Arneson drives have been a better option for such an endeavor? I would think their greater reliability and efficiency would pay off for this sort of thing.

qaberdeen 06-21-2011 07:40 AM

Sounds great..let me know the dates when you're coming down to the rock..we can meet up and i can show you around the island..

Q

cwfdive 06-21-2011 07:27 PM

Gaberdeen - We will be having a reception at the Royal Hamilton Amature Yacht and Dinghy Club for everyone who can make it to Bermuda the day we arrive - hope to see you there!

SS930 - Arnesons would have been great but we went with XR's with a little work done to them. We will need to take care of the drives on the way over as they are probablly the weak link on the boat.

After we reach Bermuda, we will be bringing the boat back to Virginia Beach and will have a reception for anyone who can make it at Chick's Oyster Bar on the water in Lynnhaven Inlet - hope to see everyone there!

pstorti 06-21-2011 07:32 PM

have you ran the boat yet? what sort of numbers are you seeing, i have the same hull but with the Yanmar's.

RT930turbo 06-21-2011 07:36 PM

Good luck!