Notices

Canadian Waters

Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
I don't read this as just a Canada thing. Our stretch of the river and border is really more of a joint effort between the US and Canada and appears they are only going to get more tightly knit. I know when I went through my Interview for my Nexus card I did my canadian side of the interview and then went literally to the next cube area and did the US interview.
I'll just stay in my own country I guess. I'm going to get an enhanced driver's license but my guests probably won't have them. BiBi Canada....
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
But you were not robbed of your boat or $1,000 cash! I have always lived near the border and I boat (or used to) on Canadian waters. I have always seen Canadians welcomed here with open arms. I am pissed off. Two weeks ago I led another Donzi Classic across Lake St. Clair to the mouth of the Thames River. We could have both lost our boats.
I think you really need to confirm the details of that story Carl, Canadian authorities DO NOT demand cash on the spot, period!
Perhaps it is different on that coast but here I have been stopped a number of times by US authorities in CANADIAN water, whats up with that? On top of that, during a high level political meeting of some kind, fair enough, the security level is raised, but myself and a young lady were in a 16' runabout with a 40hp Merc heading for lunch on Pender Island, in Canadian water, and two Zodiacs with 6 guys in each, armed to the nuts, stopped and boarded us....checked us over, made a mess of my boat and headed back to the navy ship they came from.......I understand about security but when is it TOO MUCH...?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Jeremy, I'd have been pissed too. The guy in question did either lose his boat or had to pay $1,000. Read the links. I thought Canada and the USA were good friends with a fairly open border. I have never been stopped by Canadian authorities and every time I have been stopped by USA Coasties they were friendly and professional and I end up with a certificate that says "thank you for promoting boating safety". This may be mainly a 1,000 Islands and St. Lawrence Seaway thing but who wants to chance it? I'm staying on my side til this gets sorted out.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Jeremy, I'd have been pissed too. The guy in question did either lose his boat or had to pay $1,000. Read the links. I thought Canada and the USA were good friends with a fairly open border. I have never been stopped by Canadian authorities and every time I have been stopped by USA Coasties they were friendly and professional and I end up with a certificate that says "thank you for promoting boating safety". This may be mainly a 1,000 Islands and St. Lawrence Seaway thing but who wants to chance it? I'm staying on my side til this gets sorted out.
I agree Carl, I would be mad as well, but the law has been in place for a while, perhaps not enforced as much in the past. The guy was fined $1000 and his boat was seized because he was fishing in Canadian waters and did not check in with Customs, pretty straight forward to me. I didn't see anywhere that said Canadian Customs officers were pricks about it....I have always found US and Canadian border and customs officers polite and professional....don't get me started about the RCMP though.....
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
I agree Carl, I would be mad as well, but the law has been in place for a while, perhaps not enforced as much in the past. The guy was fined $1000 and his boat was seized because he was fishing in Canadian waters and did not check in with Customs, pretty straight forward to me. I didn't see anywhere that said Canadian Customs officers were pricks about it....I have always found US and Canadian border and customs officers polite and professional....don't get me started about the RCMP though.....
His boat wasn't seized. According to the article, it was pay the fine or face seizure. The law has always been there.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bluellama
His boat wasn't seized. According to the article, it was pay the fine or face seizure. The law has always been there.
I know guys that worked for Custom's who have had relatives get their boats threatend to be impounded or pay up for not checking in properly---guess what....they ended up paying!