Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need opinions on older 36 Tiara (1987-1990) >

Need opinions on older 36 Tiara (1987-1990)

Notices

Need opinions on older 36 Tiara (1987-1990)

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Need opinions on older 36 Tiara (1987-1990)

Looking for first hand opinions on owning an older circa 1987-1990 36 Tiara with gas engines. We really like the open cockpit and build quality. The boat will be kept on Texoma, which is probably a little overkill for the lake, but we want a boat that will hold up for 10-20 years without paying new sticker price. We will be doing a lot of entertaining with anywhere from 6-15 people and a lot of overnighting with a family of 4.

I know this isn't a yacht forum and yes I have read the other yacht forums, but since I'm a go fast boater I thought I would as my fellow powerboaters what their opinion is.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at them as well but a little newer as in late 90's and with diesels. Here in fl it's all about range! They are defineatly top of the line boats. The gas version are horrible on fuel. Not sure how big that lake is but that might be a consideration. I am also looking at the 33 wellcraft coastal it's close in size and layout. But honestly very little beats a tiara. To me they are on the level with a whaler as far as quality.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Top quality boat. Will hold resale well if in good condition. A 36 with gassers will use some fuel but will probably have Crusaders which are good motors. If you repower in the furture Crusader says (I have no actual knowledge) that their new FI engines are much better on gas.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered

Tiara is one of the best in quality, I would even compare its ride and ocean handling to that of Hatteras, I spent alot of time on a 43 open, and have no complaints. I am not sure about the gas engines, if you can find diesels in your price range or close, I would go that route, With diesels that boat will last another 20 years with minimal maintainence. The gas engines, are going to use a bit more fuel, and of course maintainence will be inevitable. All in all the tiara hull and equipment are built to last, so I do not think you will have any problems making it last, get a survey, in a larger boat it is necessary.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Texoma is big, but nothing like the ocean. An average trip will be no more than 5-10 miles out. And we would likely go 40 miles out only 3-4 times a year.

What are you guys seeing for average time before rebuild on a crusader 454? I've seen everywhere from 900-1300 hours. Seems a little low........always thought they could make it to atleast 2000 hours. Salt vs freshwater probably makes a big difference?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 39 Mainship. 1989 model. If you decide to look at something different. Not a Tiara but a great boat that has a huge cockpit and two staterooms. She is dated by todays standards but the price is right. PM me if you have interest.

There is also a 36' Tara with diesels in Freeport, TX for sale by owner. Bridge Harbor marina may have more details. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Whats the budget? I was looking at them for years, was seriously considering the newer 35, they look good, but no aft cabin which was a deterrent for me. I was coming up from a 310 sc slickraft, which was made by tiara. I have had it for 8 years and it has been an amazing boat. They are built very very well. Somehow I ended up with a 47' excalibur, while it needs attention the build quality and intricate unnoticed details remind me of tiara.....36 with gas would be a hog. Read what David Pascoe has to say about Tiara....