Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive? >

Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive?

Notices

Commentary: Will Sunny Isles Survive?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have loved to do the Miami-Bimini run, for me more than anything else it was a timing issue. I had the boat in FL all winter but wanted to get it back up north by mid-May because our season is so short I wanted to be ready when the weather turns (still waiting). Also, I would have more incentive to get excited about the run if there were more boats involved. Let's face it, if I'm running against Amsoil or a turbine cat that is not a race. But, if there were some other 500 or 525 powered 38 foot V bottoms to run against that would be a blast. I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way, if the number of boats started to jump a little bit I'm sure it would grow very quickly.

I am really surprised that more local boaters didn't participate, and that no boat builders or motor builders showed up to flex their muscles. Seems like the perfect venue to show what you got. I hope this event survives because I would love to do it someday.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its also during hurricane season and insurance, for being on ocean waters in Florida, is more expensive.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the need for city funding, however, its hot here in Illinois and there is no need to go to Florida. Why not run it in the winter? Or around the Miami Boat Show time? Or in March or April? Just some other time when you are not competing with local boating in the northern states and when getting away to Florida is a viable option or necessity.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

From a racers point of view, Logistics plays a big role in what races we like to attend.

I prefer to be at a site where everything is is one place. ie: drypits, hot pits, cranes, hotel and quick access to the beach or viewing area. a 5 mile trek with boat in tow in a congested area is a bit unerving.

I understand the park costs too much money and support your decision to move to Gulfstream. Times are tough for everyone. Well...almost everyone. By the looks of some of the hardware, the economy is not hurting all.

I have always enjoyed SIB. Hopefully, will return.

Great job!
Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
From a racers point of view, Logistics plays a big role in what races we like to attend.

I prefer to be at a site where everything is is one place. ie: drypits, hot pits, cranes, hotel and quick access to the beach or viewing area. a 5 mile trek with boat in tow in a congested area is a bit unerving.

I understand the park costs too much money and support your decision to move to Gulfstream. Times are tough for everyone. Well...almost everyone. By the looks of some of the hardware, the economy is not hurting all.

I have always enjoyed SIB. Hopefully, will return.

Great job!
Bruce,

I was thinking the same thing, but the tow wasnt all that bad, towed Trents 38 Formula through it, and ramped at Haulover. I was thinking of you as we were backing down the ramp though, warned Devin not to back too far in, as there is a dropoff Not sure how crowded the beach was Friday and Saturday, but it was pretty bare Sunday for the race, could have been the Fathers day thing.

Rick
Old 06-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Bruce,

I was thinking the same thing, but the tow wasnt all that bad, towed Trents 38 Formula through it, and ramped at Haulover. I was thinking of you as we were backing down the ramp though, warned Devin not to back too far in, as there is a dropoff Not sure how crowded the beach was Friday and Saturday, but it was pretty bare Sunday for the race, could have been the Fathers day thing.

Rick
what a nightmare that was! I cant believe they dont have a warning sign or curb.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

With the Economy the way it is. Marine Businesses are hurting. No work is coming our way. We get no work from these events. Sure it's fun and excitment, but it costs money. And if business is down and your not getting anything from these events, than particaption is going to be down. And it is not going to get better for quite sometime.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
To borrow a line from the old Bill Clinton campaign......"It's the economy stupid."

No disrespect to Matt, he covered the situation very well, but you have to add in there, the factor of the anxiety that everyone feels about the economy.

Nobody works harder than Larry and Brad to put on a great race. But, the people who should be there supporting it just can't seem to bring themselves to commit that extra money.

The real US unemployment number is around 16% and that includes the part timers who would take a real job, if they had the opportunity. BUT, it does not include those who are so discouraged they have left the job market altogether......so are we closer to 20%??

Just think how uncertain the labor market is right now....in the United States today, there isn't a single strike going on anywhere. In the 70's an average of 30,000 per month were on the picket lines.

As a boat builder, the only sales I have seen recently have been to Europe. The value of the dollar has dropped so much, our boats seem like a bargain compared to the Euro. US Banks are so afraid of the government shutting them down because they don't have enough core capital, they won't lend to anyone. The days of using your house as an ATM machine are long gone. If an American wanted to buy a boat and finance it, where does he go? Some finance companies are trying to work with the really big manufacturers, but the smallor custom shops are on the outside.

As an open ocean racer, HORBA has tried to put together two real old school races per year, one in New York for the Northerners and one in Florida for the Southerners. For New York, we have this September 24, the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race. This is the second year and the race is a go.

In Florida we tried to put a Fort Lauderdale to Key West race, on the weekend before the actual Key West races started this November. The people we were working with down there, pulled the plug after seeing the low boat count for Sunny Isles. These races are expensive to put on without city or town sponsorhsip money....and that is why they said.....let's see where the economy goes, we can try again next year.

I'm sorry to see this state of affairs happen to offshore racing, but there are so many reasons behind it, I don't think it will turn for the better until the economy picks up or turns around once and for all......and I really don't see that happening in 2011.

Just my 2 cents.
No disrespect taken, my friend. In fact, your point is one I should have made. And by the way, the campaign Clinton borrowed that line from the headline in an article in the Atlantic Monthly many years ago.

That said, it was as relevant now and it was then. No one has to own a performance boat. No one has to race. It is purely discretionary, and when discretionary income goes away ...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
To borrow a line from the old Bill Clinton campaign......"It's the economy stupid."

No disrespect to Matt, he covered the situation very well, but you have to add in there, the factor of the anxiety that everyone feels about the economy.

Nobody works harder than Larry and Brad to put on a great race. But, the people who should be there supporting it just can't seem to bring themselves to commit that extra money.

The real US unemployment number is around 16% and that includes the part timers who would take a real job, if they had the opportunity. BUT, it does not include those who are so discouraged they have left the job market altogether......so are we closer to 20%??

Just think how uncertain the labor market is right now....in the United States today, there isn't a single strike going on anywhere. In the 70's an average of 30,000 per month were on the picket lines.

As a boat builder, the only sales I have seen recently have been to Europe. The value of the dollar has dropped so much, our boats seem like a bargain compared to the Euro. US Banks are so afraid of the government shutting them down because they don't have enough core capital, they won't lend to anyone. The days of using your house as an ATM machine are long gone. If an American wanted to buy a boat and finance it, where does he go? Some finance companies are trying to work with the really big manufacturers, but the smallor custom shops are on the outside.

As an open ocean racer, HORBA has tried to put together two real old school races per year, one in New York for the Northerners and one in Florida for the Southerners. For New York, we have this September 24, the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race. This is the second year and the race is a go.

In Florida we tried to put a Fort Lauderdale to Key West race, on the weekend before the actual Key West races started this November. The people we were working with down there, pulled the plug after seeing the low boat count for Sunny Isles. These races are expensive to put on without city or town sponsorhsip money....and that is why they said.....let's see where the economy goes, we can try again next year.

I'm sorry to see this state of affairs happen to offshore racing, but there are so many reasons behind it, I don't think it will turn for the better until the economy picks up or turns around once and for all......and I really don't see that happening in 2011.

Just my 2 cents.

I respectfully disagree, and will take a bit of a different point of view on this topic.

I don’t think it is that people are scared and I don’t think it is the economy. My view is that it is an event that the people you think want to attend do not actually want to attend.

On the participant side, how can you say it is the economy when you look at the East Coast participation at Desert Storm. The guys you want to participate will trailer their rigs anywhere they WANT to go. Money does not seem to be an issue with many of these crews at any time.

This is very common in the event business. If you build it they will come but often they don’t. In some cases no amount of passion for an event can produce participants or spectators.

My belief is the owners that you are looking for to step up to what may turn out to be a grueling multi-hour man versus mother nature experience are looking for fun ways to party for a couple of days and enjoy their boats and their friends.

Just because you want to have a race to the Bahamas or around Long Island doesn’t mean 200 others do.

Sometimes no ammount of passion, can make people share your vision.

Just my .02 and an opposing view.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you are all right on this one. It's the economy, and apathy. Offshore boat racing is pretty much a non-entity. And I'm not talking about offshore or inshore. I'm talking about the sport itself. The party has become more important than the competition. At this point it doesn't matter why it has become this way. The most important event is a party in the desert where boats go straight for 1 mile. I wish I had the resources to do something about it. Very sad what the sport has become.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.