Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/256544-ilmor-marine-mv8-6-2l.html)

DjMikeyC 06-24-2011 04:53 PM

Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...l/MV8-62L.aspx

Or possibly the closed cooled OPS version...

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...8-62L-OPS.aspx

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...

obrien 06-24-2011 09:10 PM

I doubt anyone here is running any of those engines since they are intended to be installed in Master Crafts. i would like to see how they turn out in a stern drive application. Not sure that an Alpha is going to stay together though.

Sonic30ss 06-24-2011 10:34 PM

Nice engine! Build and drive the SS properly it will live. Love to have a couple of those

DjMikeyC 06-25-2011 06:59 AM

I figured with the weight savings of the aluminum block and heads and extra HP mated to the Alpha SS drive it would be a nice combo.

When you say "Build the drive properly"... what do you mean as I do not have the boat yet... this is all homework before the purchase. I heard you can get HD internals... is that what you mean?

Sonic30ss 06-25-2011 07:10 AM

Yes there is an HD gear set available, I would consider cryo treating gears, have a really good drive guy set it up with the proper clearances, add drive shower, I use Merc HP gear lube and change every 20 hrs. 20 hrs might seem exessive but it gives you a chance to check on health of drive, since they are NLA it's cheap insurance.
Oh yea it's ok to fly them....see avatar ; )

DMOORE 06-25-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC (Post 3437944)
Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...

What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.

Darrell.

bor 06-25-2011 04:34 PM

Ls header

Originally Posted by DMOORE (Post 3438455)
What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.

Darrell.

They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100

Sonic30ss 06-26-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by bor (Post 3438494)
They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100

I think an Alpha would have a problem with that torque!!!
Nice fat torque curve, that boat must run great

JIMKID Motorsports 06-26-2011 07:16 AM

hay go with the ls motors there awsome i got two in my boat luv em and dont go with the alpha you will kill it do bravo trust me illmores the whip worked on one the other day in a master craft they do a slick motor

stainless 06-26-2011 07:55 AM

Just did a tour of the Ilmor facility Friday, and all I can say is it's incredible! These guys build every Indy car engine for Honda and the technical expertise is incredible! I am super impressed with my 710's, and I'm sure that anything Ilmor builds will be top notch all the way .
If your in Plymouth Michigan , I highly recommend arranging a tour of the facility. Stu from Florida powerboat just did a tour, and I'm sure you'll be seeing something from them shortly!