Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared." >

Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared."

Notices

Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared."

Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Schoenwald on Reluctant Miami-Bimini Challenge Participants: “They're scared."

In a good-natured way, Brad Schoenwald throws down the gauntlet, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...re-scared.html.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 06-03-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'll disagree, and here is why:

I'd love to do the run, but the problem lies with timing, seasons, and the jet-stream.

The jet-stream makes for the smoothest seas at this time of year. But other than Florida boaters, the rest of us have our boats back home by now, and are into full swing with local poker runs, events, and height of our local boating season. We've already had one major poker run, one major 3 day weekend, and there are several more Mid-Atantic events between now and this run, including that weekend.

The next time I bring my boat to Florida for the winter, I'll make it a point to leave it there long enough to do this event if timing allows.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

They are certainly doing their part to promote it locally. This billboard was along I-95 in Hollywood today.
Attached Thumbnails -sunny-isles-bboard.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
But other than Florida boaters, the rest of us have our boats back home by now, and are into full swing with local poker runs, events, and height of our local boating season.
People have no problem hauling their boats to Havasu, 1000 Islands, Jacksonville, et al...I don't get it.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'll disagree, and here is why:

I'd love to do the run, but the problem lies with timing, seasons, and the jet-stream.

The jet-stream makes for the smoothest seas at this time of year. But other than Florida boaters, the rest of us have our boats back home by now, and are into full swing with local poker runs, events, and height of our local boating season. We've already had one major poker run, one major 3 day weekend, and there are several more Mid-Atantic events between now and this run, including that weekend.

The next time I bring my boat to Florida for the winter, I'll make it a point to leave it there long enough to do this event if timing allows.
Your 37' would be a great boat for that run. I've never done that run in June—most of my trips to Bimini have been by seaplane (another adventure)—but I did it once in February in a 27-foot Formula with Scott Porter.

Short story: We got the crap kicked out of us.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

It's the economy plain and simple...from someone that has done it in 2008, its not an inexpensive week, gas and fuel at all time highs, having to take time away from work, hotels, meals fuel for the race my total in 08 was about 7500.00 total. If my engines were in I would come, just didnt work out for me this year, will i do a long run again? any chance that Ican make it work I sure would...

18 hr drive up and back 900.00
Fuel from the fuel truck 695.00

Running and not seeing land, then hearing our names called for winning...PRICELESS!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

He has a way with words.

“I think the reason we don’t have greater participation from the performance-boat community is that, deep down, they’re scared,” he said, and then laughed. “They’re scared to go offshore. If it were 106 miles on Lake Havasu, they wouldn’t think twice about it.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but two days towing down and two days towing back kinda eats up a week vacation.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Respectfully I disagree with most. It's not the $. it's the classes they have. I would love to do the race, but I would want to be at least competative, or hopefull. No way I can out perform a 502 blown motor with 700+ HP. Classes should be for HP not engine size.
My .02
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will race a 28 Skater! Unfortunately the 46 is still in paint and won't be ready. Its still going to be a blast!! Looking forward to a great weekend!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.