Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Phillip/Shane You Guys around? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25672-phillip-shane-you-guys-around.html)

Shane 07-02-2002 03:53 PM

Hi guys,

I don't shift mine unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Hi-Perf outboards just don't like it. It seems to put excessive wear and tear on the clutches and gears. I generally will warm the engines up in neutral and shut off, then shift and re-fire in gear. A bit of a pain in the ass but easier on the units. As far as speed is concerned, this weather we are having in the NE is not conducive to making horsepower so it is difficult to make any comparisons due to the high humidity and even higher temps. Wait until the air dries out a bit. 15 inch diameter might be a bit wide on the diameter. Try 14.5's you may find them to accelerate harder and perform better overall.

If you trim the motors out and find water pressure dropping off then your motors are too high. If you have specific questions let me know.

MIdnightRider 07-02-2002 09:21 PM

It looked good for the few seconds we ran together, I was wanting to make a little run with you, but the boss pointed at the fuel gauges, I was low on fuel(excuses), and wanted to assure I could make it back to the marina. Midnight:cool:

Nauti Kitty 07-07-2002 08:40 PM

Hey Midnight. Don't be waiting till there are waves so I gots no chance!:D

Shane? Phillip Thanks guys for the info. Hard to figure out how our collective boats can be so different. I simply cannot run my motors out. The boat just porposies on any water. Hydro I have tested now 40 hours many at perfect temps with no humidity. Mid 70's to mid 90's and I see almost no difference. In addition I lose at most 2 mph on full tanks versus nearly empty. I talked to guy at tnt on friday and he told me that these motors will not go to the max r's unless I have at least 12lbs of pressure. At 2.14 inches drive height I had 3-4 lbs. Obviously that did not work. At 1.5 inches I have 9.5 to 11 max. Nothing I try can get them over 12. My guess is that because I get to 6000'rs no matter what, but never more, I don't think it's the props, I think it's the motors. HYDRO My water temps run between 115-125 and they don't vary. Before I send my props out to merc I'm checking tommorrow with tnt about the 12 lb thing. I talked to chris at skater on friday about sending in a pair of props he gave me from mercury, which i tested for 10 minutes, to have the same things i have done on mine for you. He asked me to give you a shout cause he had tried. Anyway i will do that for you no problem but i'm going to wait until i find out everything about this water pressure thing. You may be having the same problem. I had my shifters adjusted and they worked fine all weekend until tonight when all of a sudden i can;t shift my port motor into forward.:o NK

Nauti Kitty 07-07-2002 08:47 PM

Hydro The best speed waves for the boat seem to be a 1-2 foot tight chop with no boat wakes:eek: Rollers slow it down and don't expect a smoth ride on 4-5 footers like i got in on the 4th:rolleyes: I have gaffrig shifters so that ain't it. Shane Sounds like a crashbox to me:confused: No doubt that the boat is fun. Still have not convinced the wife about that though. :( Negotiations ongoing however:D Shane / Phillip i'm going to give both of you a shout monday or tuesday. Thanks guys.NK:cool:

Philip 07-07-2002 10:56 PM

Guys, I went over the numbers again, Water Pres. wot. 13-15 LBS, Temp at wot. Port motor, 175-180 Stbd motor 165 170, 14.5x32" Spinning out, 6400, 6500- 102MPH (4) people on board. Sunday, Put on new 14.5"x32 cleavers, fuel about the Same as Sat. (2) people on board, 6,500 103. fuel 90 to 100 gals. Speed Gaffrig GPS, Center line of prop shaft is 1.75" above bottom of sponson.
Philip

mjuwalters 07-08-2002 06:45 AM

Philip Mabey you could help me out. I have a 30motion with twin1999 300s. you may have seen it at skater fest last year. White with twin canopies. Hear the question I am running 15x34 3bl lab cleavers, there the only props I have ever tried. Problem is acceleration is very poor but at top speed I'am on the rev limiters. Do you think 14.5 diameter would help acceleration but still keep rs down?
Thanks Michael

MIdnightRider 07-08-2002 10:04 AM

NK- Why don't you just get rid of those Jet-Ski motors and get some VERY BIG BLOCKS like that guy from East Lansing? Midnight (Or I could tape record my boat, and you can play it on a Ghetto blaster so it sounds like it looks:D ) Good Luck Midnght:cool:

Shane 07-08-2002 11:05 AM

The tight chop with no rollers or boat wakes are definitely the friend of the smaller Skaters. I have found 14.5 X 30 Merc labbed cleavers to be agood all around combination. The 28's definitely accelerate harder but lose their legs on the big end. The 30's have the big end run but lack a little in the rough stuff. I have found the weight factor to be minor in terms of top end overall speed. 3 to 5 mph on the biog end but acceleration and planing time if what becomes more troublesome with additional weight. I would HIGHLY reccommend you spin 'em OUT an out ONLY, prmarily for saftey reasons. I would be happy to assist further if I can be of help.

Shane:cool:

Philip 07-08-2002 02:40 PM

mjuwalters, yes I remember seeing your boat, This is very interesting, 1999 300 promax, sportmaster gear cases, 1:62 gears? am I right about this so far? the promax's have the rev limiters set at 6,400 rpm or so. Do you hear the over rev horns come on? How fast are you running? we had 1998 300 promax's on a 28' Skater, ane spun 14.5x32" 3 blade Lab Cleavers spinning out at 6300 or 6400. The 15x34 cleavers should not be able to hit the limiters. Are you sure the props are in fact 34" ? The props might have been marked wrong. the 14.5x32" cleavers will only hit the limiters faster. The 28' Skater spun the props out, yes we could hit the limiters with the 32" props, light on fuel, into the wind, and 115 mph. But never on a regular day. I tried the 14.5x34 cleavers, but they only spun 6100 or so, and the acceleration was not good. the 34" props took forever to get to top rpm. I never heard on anyone with the 1:62 gears run out of prop with the 34" props. What is the speed again.
Philip

mjuwalters 07-08-2002 02:58 PM

Phillip Thanks for your reply. my props are15x34 from mercs lab. big prop shaft. My rev limiters are kicking in about 6000 and are sounding the warning horn . Speed on a good day in fresh water on gps has been best at109 . Still learning boat, its very trim sensitive. Thats with 100lb of lead in the bow. I do have a fair amount of porpise at cruise speed 65to80. At 4000rpm speed is 64mph Yes it a 1.61 gear. props turning out. Water pressure is 15lbs + at top speed motors are 2in above the bottom on 5in cmc manuel jacks.
So what do you think I know it will not be as fast as a 28 skateer but still trying. Still accelaration is poor untill about4000rpm . Looks like the numbers are close to what you are saying except my rev limiters are set low. Do you have access to a pair of square hub 32s I could try? Rapair can reset the rev limit in my ecus.
Thank You
Michael