Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First time buyer, what would you choose? >

First time buyer, what would you choose?

Notices

First time buyer, what would you choose?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer, what would you choose?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and overall pretty new to boating. Or rather boat ownership. I'm looking to buy my first hopefully within the next year and I'm not really sure where to start looking. I'm in Southern California so I'll be spending most of my time at Havasu.

But to get to the point I'm stuck on what brand to go with. I have a family, so while I am looking for something that can move on the water I also need it to be reliable. I've heard good things about Eliminators, and they're pretty local, so I checked out their shop and the 27' caught my eye. Anyone with these boats, or others, than can tell me a little bit about the different manufacturers?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonH2O
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and overall pretty new to boating. Or rather boat ownership. I'm looking to buy my first hopefully within the next year and I'm not really sure where to start looking. I'm in Southern California so I'll be spending most of my time at Havasu.

But to get to the point I'm stuck on what brand to go with. I have a family, so while I am looking for something that can move on the water I also need it to be reliable. I've heard good things about Eliminators, and they're pretty local, so I checked out their shop and the 27' caught my eye. Anyone with these boats, or others, than can tell me a little bit about the different manufacturers?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys.
Welcome to OSO Jason.

What is your budget??
Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

That's something that the fam and I still need to sit down and work out to a T. But realistically, I don't think I want to spend more than 160ish. It's a soft budget though right now.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

X2 on your budget. Other than that depending on what body lines you like on a boat. Cat or V bottom? Open bow vs. closed bow vs. mcob(mid cabin open bow) they make some sweet looking rides that are versatile. 160k? You can buy alot for that kind of budget
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

I like the V bottoms more than anything, and I think the open bow would probably be more practical. The X2, they handle well? They're reliable? I haven't heard too much about them.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Registered

Also, customization is a concern. That is, even though this is a first purchase I want a manufacturer that'll work with me. I'd like to have something with a little finesse, you know?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Family man.. considered a fast deck boat??? Be perfect for lakes , entertaining, joy rides. Maybe an e ticket? Something along those lines?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Family man.. considered a fast deck boat??? Be perfect for lakes , entertaining, joy rides. Maybe an e ticket? Something along those lines?
Possibly, you tell me. haha

I guess what I'm really asking for guys is your options on boats you own or have owned in the past. What you thought of them, the good the bad. Performance, handling, versatility, service, maintenance, insurance, etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonH2O
Possibly, you tell me. haha

I guess what I'm really asking for guys is your options on boats you own or have owned in the past. What you thought of them, the good the bad. Performance, handling, versatility, service, maintenance, insurance, etc.
I definitely don't have your budget, but I'd highly recommend tracking down some back issues of powerboat mag. Or see if they're logged online.
Some of the deck boats scream for what they are, still sound good with big power and you'll be able to fit more than 5 comfortably, but still race it around on the waters.
I'd say they're definitely worth a look
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

I've looked at a few. They're good for a specific type of info. I'm just trying to get some more first hand experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.