Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Steps to straight hull, anyone done ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257135-steps-straight-hull-anyone-done.html)

shootitup 07-03-2011 09:59 AM

Steps to straight hull, anyone done ?

Have plan make steps to stinger 312 straight v-hull.

Has anyone done steps to any straight hull boat in afterwards ?

fastdonzi 07-03-2011 12:23 PM

The Great Lakes Caster Fountain was a Non Stepped boat and was converted to a single step. They won a championship in Key West with it. It came out really well. It is a huge task but can be done.

jeff32 07-03-2011 12:23 PM

artificial steps with painting on the hull side. otherwise, money better spent by selling your boat and buy one with built in steps!

shootitup 07-03-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by fastdonzi (Post 3444050)
The Great Lakes Caster Fountain was a Non Stepped boat and was converted to a single step. They won a championship in Key West with it. It came out really well. It is a huge task but can be done.

Wow, good results. I suppose that there are not any pics of that converting job.

shootitup 07-03-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 3444051)
artificial steps with painting on the hull side. otherwise, money better spent by selling your boat and buy one with built in steps!

Could be wrong but what i know all boats with steps on hull are
much newer. If it so the boat change could cost more than 20000$.
I have done many glasfibre jobs.. so no way i can save money with changing the boat.

It would be nice to know how many mph can reach more with steps compare without steps in same boat+same engine/drives.

BDiggity 07-03-2011 02:40 PM

i forsee another great ebay ad in 5 years for a boat that was modified to the point it performs worse than when stock.

Too Stroked 07-03-2011 02:43 PM

Before you start this one, take a look at an older (non-stepped) Fountain or other V-bottom. Now find a stepped version of that same model. (And remember, Fountain went through at least 3 major generations of steps.) I think you're going to quickly find that the stepped hull looks nothing like its non-stepped ancestor. It's not just adding a step. It's more like cutting the bottom out and starting all over again. And if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you will end up with one evil handling boat - with significantly reduced resale value.

dockrocker 07-03-2011 03:38 PM

Nah, it's easy. Just re-engineer the entire stringer system, bottom design in terms of strake location, length, height, etc, bottom angle before and after the step - oh, you might want to determine whether you need one step, two, or more.

Then it's just little stuff like working out the center of gravity, balance, and maybe rearranging the interior due to work done moving the stringers. Don't forget about making sure the bilges still drain properly and that there is no way for water to collect in the hull.

Piece of cake, a little JB weld and some duct tape and you're good. ;)

GEORGE YURICK 07-03-2011 03:41 PM

i know the crazy folks at Activator grafted a 29 activator bottom into a 30 superboat.....it was a huge undertaking that probably cost as much as building a new boat but its definetly a conversation piece.....