If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Sea water pump question

When I was aligning my engine I got tired of fighting my sea water pump hoses so I quickly removed them from the back of the pump and made a "mental note" of which hose went where. Well, I did not immediately hook them back up and a week later my "mental note" was lost!

I assume that from the shape of the hoses the inlet hose from the outdrive is on top but I want to make sure. The other hose has a bend in it to go around the motor mount so it seems that this would go on the bottom. Am I correct? Thanks

Hawthorn Woods, IL
    If you look on the back of the housing next to the fittings it will tell you. The rotation of the pump shaft is also shown, and depending on the rotation it tells you which in the inlet.

rv, I looked on the back and didn't see anything, but I really couldn't get a good look. I will pull both hoses off and do a headstand with a flashlight. Maybe then i will see them! Thanks

My Boats:
    93Avanti 27' 502
    Gainesville Fl.
    looked at mine bottom out

Gold Member Gold Member Turbojack's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona
    Houston, TX, USA
    I wish I knew how many times I have done the same. The way I check is I put hose going to motor on where I think it should go & install a short hose on other fitting. I then fill hose with water & hit starter for second. If water level in hose goes down quickly I know I have it right. Doing this also keeps me for burning out impellor by not starting pump dry.