Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   25 Daytona 6 cylinder turbo....Finally 115MPH.. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257337-25-daytona-6-cylinder-turbo-finally-115mph.html)

BLAZE 07-06-2011 11:57 AM

Wayyyy kewl! :coolcowboy:

SHAWN DAVIS 07-06-2011 11:59 AM

Well done! pretty impressive

RT930turbo 07-06-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 3446078)
A 3L what? Who makes the engine? I understand you built it.

Looks like Toyota Maybe???

BgBoost1 07-06-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RT930turbo (Post 3446095)
Looks like Toyota Maybe???

I would say a 2JZ which is the factory engine for a 93.5-98 Toyota Supra. A very impressive piece of engineering!!

Congrats on thinking outside of the box and putting something like that together.

The drive - Step up Box from Imco is something I have not seen on a Eliminator.

Awesome Project...Keep us all updated!

Crossett 07-06-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BgBoost1 (Post 3446128)
I would say a 2JZ which is the factory engine for a 93.5-98 Toyota Supra.

That's what it is. They are known for being able to make a lot of power (800-900) on stock internals. To accomplish this it takes lots of RPM and lots of boost though, neither of which I would really imagine to be ideal for a marine application. I would like to see how that boat gets on plane.

What turbo is on it? How bad is the lag? I can't see an intercooler from the pics, how are you dealing with cooling the intake charge?

JasonSmith 07-06-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BgBoost1 (Post 3446128)
I would say a 2JZ which is the factory engine for a 93.5-98 Toyota Supra. A very impressive piece of engineering!!

Congrats on thinking outside of the box and putting something like that together.

The drive - Step up Box from Imco is something I have not seen on a Eliminator.

Awesome Project...Keep us all updated!

Yea, it definitely has +3" rise IMCO box on it and a -2 lower.
I wonder what the fuel consumption is?

bulletbob 07-06-2011 01:28 PM

Very cool project! Good luck with future plans and keep us posted. Bob

BgBoost1 07-06-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crossett (Post 3446135)
That's what it is. They are known for being able to make a lot of power (800-900) on stock internals. To accomplish this it takes lots of RPM and lots of boost though, neither of which I would really imagine to be ideal for a marine application. I would like to see how that boat gets on plane.

What turbo is on it? How bad is the lag? I can't see an intercooler from the pics, how are you dealing with cooling the intake charge?

I think I see one mounted just below the intake on the PS of the boat. It looks like the Procharger "Brick" type, but that might be my mind playing tricks on me again.

Crossett 07-06-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BgBoost1 (Post 3446157)
I think I see one mounted just below the intake on the PS of the boat. It looks like the Procharger "Brick" type, but that might be my mind playing tricks on me again.

An air to water is the only feasible option, there might be one hiding back there that you can't see. I wouldn't want to run 29 psi through an engine unintercooled.

psi 07-06-2011 02:59 PM

@Maritime eng....Ok...yea u guys were tied up next to us...sorry didnt get a chance to meet you and yea me and Shaun were fooling around on the way back up by key largo...thats when I was loaded...but happy my boat performed how it did anyways....

Ok let mee answer all these questions for you guys..... Regarding the drive....it does have a 3in rise Imco box with a 2in shorty...you guys have some good eyes...engine is a 2J and has been in there for some 50hrs of run time...the 2J is one of the strongest 6 cylinders ive ever seen...and the abuse they can withstand is amazing... If you look closely under the intake manifold you will see the air/liquid intercooler...there is no way the engine would last 5 minutes running that kind of boost, inlet air temps running that boost level is roughly 110 degrees, which is great...

I run a 2 stage water pump and on the outlet of the water pump, its tapped with a 3/4 pipe fitting which sends raw water cooling 1st thru the intercooler then to my oil cooler and exits out the boat...fuel consumption beleive it is very well...I dont have exact mpg but ill get some more info on that....also I run E85 which on average consumes 30% more fuel consumption over 93 octane...and even still is great on gas...

This project I will admit has been tuff....only becouse what everyone thought or kind of had an opinion on what most thought would work...hasnt!! So ive had to totally think out side the box for this...fuel demands to the engine have what plagued mee the worst...especially since the E85...the pick ups in the gas tanks where no where enough to supply what Ive been trying to do...also the fuel pump I use is the same one that Mercury uses on there 1350 Turbo engine....Weldon 2345

I appreciate all the comments and support for doing something different...If things look well I will be at LOTO this year running it to see what we get in the mile...

Also many special thanks to Brian from Offshore Outdrives, Grant from Grants custom Rigging and Bob,Mike and Tony from Eliminator...

If I missed anything let mee know...

Thanks again,
Brendan