If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Solomons Island, Md
    Hey Nick,

Hereís something I noticed a while back on my boat. When I flip the exhaust switch while the engines are off, sometimes the flapper on the port side does not open. However, when I flip the switch while the engine is on, the flapper always opens. I imagine the pressure from the exhaust and water pushing against the flapper helps to open it. At any rate, you may want to check your setup. You may be running with one of your flappers closed (at least part of the time) without your knowledge. If so, this would account for one side having more soot than the other side.

On my boat, itís always the same flapper. Perhaps the relay on that side is weaker than the other, perhaps that side gets less electrical current than the other Ė who knows? To me itís no big deal. I just start the engines with the flappers closed. Then once the engines are running, I open them. If I happen to start the engine with them already open, I just bounce the switch off then on. Itís better than taking the boat back to the dealer for them to fix since they are incapable of fixing anything.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks 29 Outlaw!

I never thought to check that...I mean, they seem to work properly. I wouldn't imagine that it would stay shut, though, at higher rpms when the solenoid isn't actively keeping it shut(switch on open-solenoid un-powered).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12