Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To name names, or not to name names, that is the question. >

To name names, or not to name names, that is the question.

Notices

To name names, or not to name names, that is the question.

Old 06-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To name names, or not to name names, that is the question.

For those of you that have read my posts lately are aware of the situation I am in.

Back in March I took my boat to a diff. marina that specialized in high performance engine building. In early April they finished working on my engines. A new employee was sent to sea trial the boat one last time to make sure everything was ok. During the sea trial the driver had the silent choice exhaust closed, running it through the drives. This is a major no no with supercharged engines. The result was melted pistons in one motor.

The owner immediately disclosed this info to me and stated that it was their fault and they were going to repair at his expense. I had originally brought the boat to him to avoid marina/mechanic error, since I had gotten screwed the past 3 yrs. by 2 other marinas.

Needless to say I was devistated to hear that my 2 motors, 1 with 88 hrs, and the other with 150 hrs. are now fatally damaged. On the other side of the coin I was thrilled that he addmitted fault and was going to machine the blocks, balance, blueprint, etc. to make sure everything was perfect and I would have no further problems. So I did not give him a hard time about the mistake. This also gave me the opportunity to have the heads ported and polished to gain more power. He also said he would put them on the dyno.

He then called me back to say he was going to go with short blocks. Then he called again and said he could not find short blocks so he would get long blocks. Then he called to say that he could not get longblocks. He then said that he could rebuild my current motors but wanted to go with new to save time. We both agreed that rebuilding would be the better way to go. This was around the 2nd, or early 3rd week in April. I said I would like to have this done by Memorial Day weekend and he said no problem.

Now the problem starts. Memorial Day comes and boat is not done. He tells me he has blocks back and they are starting to work on them. I spoke to his mechanic 2 days later and he tells me that they are not even back from the machine shop yet. Next comes the Atlantic City run and still no boat.

I started posting angry threads and posts because I felt that he was not doing his very best to get my motors done. Bottom line I was very upset and frustrated.

I did not feel that this was common place for him or his operation and therefore I did not want to reveal who he was. I did not want to try to blemish his reputation or slander him in anyway. Also, if I did this I am sure it would cause major conflict between him and I, and I was hoping tp keep a relationship with him in the future. If he did not come through than that might have changed.

The point of this lengthy thread is that I privately told 3 people the name of the marina, all of whom are on this board. I spoke with the owner this morning and he tells me that he has received an e-mail from someone saying that I am bad mouthing him on this board. We angrily debated this and I flat out told him that yes, I posted the situation and if he read them he would not like it. I did so out of anger and frustration and hoping to get support and information. I also stated that I did not say who I was dealing with because I knew it was a rare incident and was not looking to discredit him. This heated argument escalated to the issue at hand, why were'nt the motors done and when would they be. Fortunately we both calmed down to resolved things and set a finish date.

I am not happy about being put in that situation so who ever sent the e-mail, thanks! From now on I will think twice about what I write and who I give info to on this board.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks to those who showed support.

Kendall
Old 06-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,

I know that you and I discussed your problem that you had. I can assure you, as I stated in our correspondance, I would not break your confidence, and I did not. I wanted to know so that I know who is who in my area.

Dan
Old 06-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Ken,
1st off, it sounds like you have been MORE than understanding! From what I have read, this marina has followed thru on NOTHING except delays on engine damage/repairs that they caused! I guess I would ask myself, "After I get my boat back this time, would I let them work on my boat again"? I personally, would have to say NO!!
Just my thoughts,
MD
Old 06-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Registered

Default Shooting off your mouth can lead to shooting yourself in the foot...

I have learned my lesson about things like this also. Hindsight is 20/20..... Too bad you got sold out, atleast you know it is one of three people..

Why dont you tell us who ratted you out,, not that you did anything wrong, you were looking for support and needed to vent. Just like the rest of us on here, nobody likes to get screwed. Glad to hear you got things straightend out...

With all the shady marina's around the country, too bad if this guy got his feathers ruffled,, maybe next time he will keep his word and have his next clients boat ready on time.. The power of 5,000 gets word out real quick..
Old 06-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also had this happen to me by someone on this board. I told them in a private email how I handled my situation in return they sent a copy to the person they were having trouble with without my permission. I was notified to please refrain from using there direct services. I learned a lesson about open venting that day, unless you no longer need that service watch what you say.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Registered

Well, as I already said, One of them was me and I did not say a word.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Scott,
I tried to send you an PM, but your box is full! Clean out your mail box, so i can send you that PM.
Thanks for your help,
Dean
Old 06-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Registered

1.) Divulge 'deep throat' so no one else gets f*cked.

2.) Wait until you get your boat back....fixed, then post the marina name. They should have put your repair on the faxt track after they messed up....not put it on the back burner . Another business that the OSO family should be warned about...........
Old 06-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Default Well, you've narrowed it down to TWO !!!

Old 06-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was one of those guys too and I can promise you I did not say a word bro...I'd never put you in that situation.

Quick Reply: To name names, or not to name names, that is the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.