Notices

106 MPH Checkmate.......

Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Don, It has been a lot of fun! And for the non Believers.. for what it is worth.. It is true. It ran mid nineties on motor and 106mph (every time) on the hit. It was a 632 cubic inch engine that made 880hp normally aspirated and I was adding another 250hp of Nitrous. There was another one faster than me though. His name is Mathew Gilbert from Fairfax Va. he had a Checkmate 242 with a blower motor and spray that ran 112mph.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
If you look carefully at those pictures you can see some of the tell tale signs of a fast performance v-hull:

1. The hull at speed has a near perfect running angle, attitude and stern lift which is what makes the running surface patch as small as possible and allows those kinds of speeds.
Less running surface in the water at speed lowers drag and allows higher speeds.

If any boater can set his good hull up to run like this at speed, he will always see better speeds than those who don't!

2. The tach shows an rpm of over 6500 rpms, so with good power and torque at that prop speed its possible to turn the prop fast enough with reasonable slip numbers to get a prop speed to move the boat at those kinds of speeds.

3. Not knowing items like hull lay up and coring and overall hull weights or interiors for overall boat weights, its a guess, but I would suspect this little boat is on the light side for a 27 foot V!

No crazy mad science or real secrets here, just good overall package engineering and build which can usually net these kinds of results in a good well designed v-hull performance boat.

Also keep in mind this package probably does not accelerate like a bat out of hell and could probably be a little tough to handle in rougher water conditions. Ultimate speed and top end performance is usually a series of tradeoffs used to acheive those kinds of results.

In any event , great job of putting together a nice performing v-hull speedster and if someone is looking to move into a small water rocket this could be great buy, provided you are also ready to spend a good dollar on the engine and drive package it takes to push this puppy that fast!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray, Thank you very much for appreciating/recognizing all of the hard work that went into this package. Only the ones that have tried can understand that you can't just throw horsepower to something and expect it to perform as you want it to without a lot of work.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=X-Driver;3999651]I hear Bill's new boat is not to shabby, either!

Not to Shabby at all! You never know where it might show up!!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Is a 242 Checkmate generally a pretty fast hull, sorta like how velocity's run fast without a ton of hp? what kinda speed do they run with 454 mags/502 mags when stock? The reason I ask is I was running along side a acquaintance at hot boat shoot out with my 272 Baja and I was clocking him somewhere between 83-85 or so on my GPS and he has a warmed over 454 mag with a m-1 running 8 psi of boost and its not tuned real great /he's not a motor guy at all and I would have guessed his top speed being a lot closer to 75-78. It took a m-3 on a 540 at 10-11 psi of boost to get my 272 into the mid 80's before I built my current package , Smitty
Old 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our experience is it takes a significant amount of bottom work to take a 60-70 MPH boat to 100 MPH + and have stability, balance and control.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Registered

I would not say that the 242 is a very fast hull as far a efficiency goes. I can tell you for a fact that it takes at least 700hp to go 85 mph. A stock 454mag (365hp) will go 65mph and for every mile per hour after that it will take you about 17 to 20hp. My 242 weighed 4800lbs. My guess is that there are more efficient hulls out there, But they are all very close with an exception of a few.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Something fishy. The pick of the GPS and tach is with the key off. A 242 checkmate is NOT 26' or 27' long. I had a '98 253 with a procharged 502 and it was not stable @ 78 mph!! Maybe someone can crunch the numbers on what amount of power and what prop it would take to push it that fast and how long the drive would last. Also, it looks waaaaay too clean for a '97. 106 mph in a 24' boat not designed for those speeds......I don't believe it.
Got to love those skeptics... I can answer a few of his questions but I can't make him believe.. The picture of the GPS is in fact with the key off ( good eye) but.. Both of my GPS are battery operated, The garmin 378 charges when it is plugged into power and the Magellan has no power cord to it. But it would be no problem to wire a power outlet to be powered even with the ignition switch off, I do it all of the time. In 97 Checkmate used the measurement from the tip of the bow to the stern of the boat (not the swim platform) this is where the 242 came from (24ft). In 98 or 99 the measured over the swim platform and this is where they got the 260 which is 26ft.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered

Something fishy. The pick of the GPS and tach is with the key off. A 242 checkmate is NOT 26' or 27' long. I had a '98 253 with a procharged 502 and it was not stable @ 78 mph!! Maybe someone can crunch the numbers on what amount of power and what prop it would take to push it that fast and how long the drive would last. Also, it looks waaaaay too clean for a '97. 106 mph in a 24' boat not designed for those speeds......I don't believe it.
As far as power I stated that in an earlier post. the drive was an Imco extreme sc with 1.36 gears and running a Bravo 4 blade 30 that was labbed. Slip numbers were well over 20%. I had over 150 hours on my drive before I had it apart. Yes I did baby it out of the hole and in the turns.
So, Pure Energy... Thank you for the compliment on how well I have taken care of my boat. The new owner is very happy about it too. Lenn
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is hard to believe the speeds these small boats can run but their are a few of them out there, My Baja 272 runs 99-100 on its best day, ran 62-65 stock, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 09-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Katt Nipp
I would not say that the 242 is a very fast hull as far a efficiency goes. I can tell you for a fact that it takes at least 700hp to go 85 mph. A stock 454mag (365hp) will go 65mph and for every mile per hour after that it will take you about 17 to 20hp. My 242 weighed 4800lbs. My guess is that there are more efficient hulls out there, But they are all very close with an exception of a few.
So in general its about 3-5 mph faster than my 272 with equal power, mine ran a best of 65 with stock 502 on fumes with no passengers, more like 62 most of the time, ran high 70's with 680 hp, ran low to close to mid 80's with 750 hp, ran low 90's with 950 hp, runs close to 100 with 1100 hp. My friends 454 m-1 checkmate is either a 242 or 253, he only knows what he has been told by engine builders and others as to what his boat should do and I was surprised to see him running almost mid 80's, his afr's were in the low 10's as he has tuning issues with his fuel regulator and is running a mefi2. I will track him down on the net and ask him about the size of his motor , maybe it is a little bigger than I thought, I can't see him running the kinda speeds he does, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.