Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   106 MPH Checkmate....... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257580-106-mph-checkmate.html)

Twin O/B Sonic 07-09-2011 11:27 AM

106 MPH Checkmate.......

When I was in Ohio there were several of these wicked sleepers around. Many from Harold Kunkles shop in Mansfield.
Have met many non believers but I have seen several of them run and they will crush your ego.
This appears to be one of them.
Click the link for pix's from one of their annual fall shoot outs.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/2484723441.html

Offering for sale my 1997 26ft Checkmate 242 Convincor Sport (same as today's 262). This is an unique opportunity for some that wants a proven 100mph+ hull that they can put their own power in. This will be a fully rigged boat less power and outdrive. I currently run a dry sump 632ci tall deck motor and Imco SC outdrive and have been 106mph with this combination. My powertrain will be pulled when boat is sold. Purchaser can ride in boat before power is pulled. Boat has upgrades too numerous to mention...will list a few:
-Full hydraulic steering with dual rams
-All gauges needed in a fast boat (water temp, water pres, fuel pres, oil pres, oil temp, recall tach, etc)
-New tubular aluminum swim platform
-Trailer completely redone one year ago (new paint, tires, aluminum wheels, led lights, & electric brakes on all wheels)
-New throttle/drive controls
-Rockford Fosgate/Sony audio system
-1/2" dip tube in fuel tank
-Cockpit and full covers

I've owned this boat for 10 years and hurt a lot of feelings with my little sleeper. Many people have seen this boat over 100mph and cannot believe how stable and vice free the boat handles at speed. Boat is in nice shape, original gel coat, with metallic red tribal graphics in the gel coat. Have moved up to a larger boat which will be getting my power/outdrive. I will be happy to give the next owner advise on how to set up the boat to achieve their goals. $15,000. (Reasonable offers considered) You can reach me at 937-604-3294. No emails. Not interested in any trades.

ck253 07-09-2011 01:32 PM

Im curoius to know how big of a lake ur running on. I have a 253 convincor and have run in the 80's and its not that stable. but we are on lake champlain...

Crossett 07-09-2011 03:17 PM

Damn, I wish I was in a position to buy that

Twin O/B Sonic 07-10-2011 06:05 AM

Not my boat.

Originally Posted by ck253 (Post 3448199)
Im curoius to know how big of a lake ur running on. I have a 253 convincor and have run in the 80's and its not that stable. but we are on lake champlain...

Most of those pictures are from Alum Reservoir in central Ohio in an area of the lake approx. 3 mls long.
They have a shoot out in the fall of all the heavy hitters to see who's top dog.
Harold is the king at setting up Checkmates. He used to provide all the test data for their catalogs. When they come out w/a new hull he orders one stock, pulls the power and inserts his.
He's an older guy and used to tell the story about always mounting an umbrella in what ever hull he had at the time so his wife would have shade. The boats were always stock other than power/drive and sooner or later some one would spout off to him. He'd kick the Mrs out and go destroy them.
I think he told me his fastest 25' ran 112.
You have to see it to believe it.

Raylar 07-10-2011 01:40 PM

Howd De Do It!

If you look carefully at those pictures you can see some of the tell tale signs of a fast performance v-hull:

1. The hull at speed has a near perfect running angle, attitude and stern lift which is what makes the running surface patch as small as possible and allows those kinds of speeds.
Less running surface in the water at speed lowers drag and allows higher speeds.

If any boater can set his good hull up to run like this at speed, he will always see better speeds than those who don't!

2. The tach shows an rpm of over 6500 rpms, so with good power and torque at that prop speed its possible to turn the prop fast enough with reasonable slip numbers to get a prop speed to move the boat at those kinds of speeds.

3. Not knowing items like hull lay up and coring and overall hull weights or interiors for overall boat weights, its a guess, but I would suspect this little boat is on the light side for a 27 foot V!

No crazy mad science or real secrets here, just good overall package engineering and build which can usually net these kinds of results in a good well designed v-hull performance boat.

Also keep in mind this package probably does not accelerate like a bat out of hell and could probably be a little tough to handle in rougher water conditions. Ultimate speed and top end performance is usually a series of tradeoffs used to acheive those kinds of results.

In any event , great job of putting together a nice performing v-hull speedster and if someone is looking to move into a small water rocket this could be great buy, provided you are also ready to spend a good dollar on the engine and drive package it takes to push this puppy that fast!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Pure Energy 07-10-2011 03:34 PM

Something fishy. The pick of the GPS and tach is with the key off. A 242 checkmate is NOT 26' or 27' long. I had a '98 253 with a procharged 502 and it was not stable @ 78 mph!! Maybe someone can crunch the numbers on what amount of power and what prop it would take to push it that fast and how long the drive would last. Also, it looks waaaaay too clean for a '97. 106 mph in a 24' boat not designed for those speeds......I don't believe it.

ImaPoser 07-10-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 3448670)
Something fishy. The pick of the GPS and tach is with the key off. A 242 checkmate is NOT 26' or 27' long. I had a '98 253 with a procharged 502 and it was not stable @ 78 mph!! Maybe someone can crunch the numbers on what amount of power and what prop it would take to push it that fast and how long the drive would last. Also, it looks waaaaay too clean for a '97. 106 mph in a 24' boat not designed for those speeds......I don't believe it.

Nothing fishy about it.

Here's the thread from last fall where some of those photos were taken.

You can find the contact info for the owner of the boat that and PM him if you want.

Pure Energy 07-10-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ImaPoser (Post 3448684)
Nothing fishy about it.

Here's the thread from last fall where some of those photos were taken.

You can find the contact info for the owner of the boat that and PM him if you want.

Link proves nothing. Sorry not a believer.

Baja 2008 07-10-2011 04:53 PM

I have seen this boat run plenty of times and it is awesome. He is a member on this forum and there is nothing fishy about what he says.

soonenough 07-10-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Energy (Post 3448689)
Link proves nothing. Sorry not a believer.

Sounds like someone might be a little bitter that there boat doesn't run that fast:party-smiley-004::lolhit: