Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257643-could-you-drive-boat-no-sound-maybe-electric.html)

FullAuto9 07-15-2011 12:40 AM

I'd buy it. Electric motors that run like BBCs would be great but not giving any more $ to our friends in the middle east would be the real reason for me.

svonmiller 07-15-2011 08:42 AM

Submarines are electric have been in operation since the turn of the century. The first electric sub launched in 1888. So the technology is there. But, the point about it taking decades is probably correct in terms of the market. It's just not likely that there will be any real market for electric boats among power boat enthusiasts for decades. It'll be about that time that gas is $20 a gallon. The sailboat community will be much faster to adopt electric.

An electric performance boat would just make me go a big rubbery one.

freshwaterfiend 07-15-2011 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=boot;3453239]

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend (Post 3451570)
It's going to be a really long time before a boat can be pushed by battery power. Decades actually.

Decades ? NO! How about now......

Battery efficiency is increasing about 8% a year. Assuming that electric motors are 3x as efficient as gas engines, to get the same range and performance out of a 2x525hp equipped 38 Cigarette, based on the size of its fuel tank, and the weight of the motors and fuel, I figured would take about 30 years. That is, batteries would need to improve about 10x to make them a direct swap to what we have now with gas.

freshwaterfiend 07-15-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by svonmiller (Post 3453473)
Submarines are electric have been in operation since the turn of the century. The first electric sub launched in 1888. So the technology is there. But, the point about it taking decades is probably correct in terms of the market. It's just not likely that there will be any real market for electric boats among power boat enthusiasts for decades. It'll be about that time that gas is $20 a gallon. The sailboat community will be much faster to adopt electric.

An electric performance boat would just make me go a big rubbery one.

Yes but the first subs had limited underwater range and had to run a diesel to recharge the batteries. Today's subs are all nuclear and we aren't going to see Mr. Fusions in boats anytime soon. It's not the motor that's the problem, it's storing enough electricity to get performance AND range.

freshwaterfiend 07-15-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by boot (Post 3453248)
how about 1000 ft lbs of torque on batteries, with a little hybrid system to charge it while you drive? I could add a big block just for sound effects at the dock.:drink:

What's the range running at full power? With a hatch full of batteries I'd bet the most you could go at full power would be a few miles at best. Plus the batteries would probably overheat in the process. So then you need a cooling system to keep the heat down. Not to mention, you charge/discharge them 50x and they're holding half the charge they once were.

It's a fallacy to think that for anything other than very short distances (read useless distances) an electric boat can keep up with a BBC.

One day - I wouldn't bet against it. But not today. No way.

REDCHECKMATE 07-15-2011 04:15 PM

AH ha.....abama boat.....not in my driveway

fabin61 07-15-2011 04:42 PM

I second half the fun is starting it up! I couldn't do it. We have Roar on the Shore (Big Biker Event) up here in Erie this weekend. Last night they had their parade, I believe they had close to 5000 bikes travel 7 miles. It lasted for over 2 1/2 hours, we leave about a 1/2 mile from the parade route and the rumble was just incredible. Gotta have the noise!

POWERPLAY J 07-15-2011 04:53 PM

Nope couldn't do it!!!

Strip Poker 388 07-15-2011 07:39 PM

it would be nice,but Im already headed that way with hearing loss:(

boot 07-15-2011 08:55 PM

I am 100% in favor of big ,thunderous motors! The bigger the better. I have had a pair of 1000's in my boat. Nothing like it. And I will have another. But, I am tired of make our government and forign governments rich by paying for it!:mad:
I am a little surprised that so many "know" it's impossible. And the world is flat don't forget!:gfight:

Did ya ever see one of them there hyrid thingy's, Oh they have little cars, suv's tractor trailers, why they even have this REALY big thing called a train!!!!! :eek: Yes, electric...... I know I have had some seriously heavy boats but not sure it weighed as much as a train. And I'm pretty sure a train can go quite fast and for quite some distance. And yes they might burn some fuel but in comparison to the old way, ( motor turns transmission, turns wheels), it is quite efficient.
This is something I've been working on for a long time. I was just curious to see if there would be any interesting input and discussion of something some of you may have tried, or just a lot of NO NO NOOOOOO I SAY, NO, IT'S CAN'T BE DONE:angry-smiley-038:

here's a little more on another thread I started that some may find interesting. And yes , there are many different versions in my garage and in my head........:party-smiley-004:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...o-hybrids.html