Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ? >

Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ?

Notices

Could you drive a boat with NO SOUND ???? maybe electric ?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boot
I am 100% in favor of big ,thunderous motors! The bigger the better. I have had a pair of 1000's in my boat. Nothing like it. And I will have another. But, I am tired of make our government and forign governments rich by paying for it!
I am a little surprised that so many "know" it's impossible. And the world is flat don't forget!

Did ya ever see one of them there hyrid thingy's, Oh they have little cars, suv's tractor trailers, why they even have this REALY big thing called a train!!!!! Yes, electric...... I know I have had some seriously heavy boats but not sure it weighed as much as a train. And I'm pretty sure a train can go quite fast and for quite some distance. And yes they might burn some fuel but in comparison to the old way, ( motor turns transmission, turns wheels), it is quite efficient.
This is something I've been working on for a long time. I was just curious to see if there would be any interesting input and discussion of something some of you may have tried, or just a lot of NO NO NOOOOOO I SAY, NO, IT'S CAN'T BE DONE

here's a little more on another thread I started that some may find interesting. And yes , there are many different versions in my garage and in my head........

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...o-hybrids.html
Joe, I am sure you have thought of this.....a "boost" system to get the boat on a plane, perhaps gas, perhaps turbine or even rocket....

And then let an electric system take over from there.....?

Coming off a plane the electric kicks out and the "auxilary" system kicks in along with a "braking system" (trim tab set up?)

All these systems are out there, just need somebody to put them together in a functioning manner.......
Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the concept of mega-voltage, salt water, and severe bouncing is intriguing... hell I zapped the sh!t out of myself trying to hook up jumper cables to a seadoo in the ocean.... just think how stimulating the zap of the 30,000 volts needed to push a gofast would feel...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

A pound of lead acid batteries hold 0.6% of the energy a pound of gasoline.

If you burn, say, 50 gallons of gas an hour, you'd need 8,333 pounds of batteries to replace the gas.

Li-ion or Lipo batteries are better, but $$$$ are very high, and have not been perfected yet.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested. My OB's sound like sewing machines at idle, but I go 90+.

What about the weight issue, boot? I have 800lbs of engines and carry about that much in fuel, and I can go about 300 miles on a fillup. Is there anything electric that could compare?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts
Originally Posted by X-Rated30

What about the weight issue, boot? I have 800lbs of engines and carry about that much in fuel, and I can go about 300 miles on a fillup. Is there anything electric that could compare?
Unobtanium may work.
ed
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I am all about big horsepower. The noise, the pop, the lope, blower surge, the smell of hot fuel.....but I could dig a FAST electic boat. (key: FAST) No hassel from the water cops or B*tchy homeowners. They would think they were seeing a mirage. A boat streaking across the water and no noise. Could use the bow as a big solar cell. The boat would have to be on the small size like a bat boat. There are some very fast cars and motorcyles running the drag strip. Some brainyack ought to be able to figure this out.
I still would want to keep my big block though, just a stealth rocket that you could pull out once in a while would be cool.
Check out this link of the Killacycle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbi1RhgRrxk

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbi1RhgRrxk
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boot, I found this today. Still has a TDI Diesel but it is a Hybrid Electric ......................

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...ic-sport-boat/

http://www.epicboats.com/232se.html
Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolley
Boot, I found this today. Still has a TDI Diesel but it is a Hybrid Electric ......................

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...ic-sport-boat/

http://www.epicboats.com/232se.html
Nice find Jolley! that is cool. But $150k for a ski boat that runs 8 hours at 8 knots!?! and all night to charge.

I think I'll call them and see if they want to try my onboard charging system...... No downtime, no speed limit.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30

Pop your power heads off and set electric motors right on top. Add a few electrical components, ( throttle , controller, some batteries, and my inmotion charger for unlimited driving) and go boating. It would take a little figuring for each application. But I think ou would be close in weight, maybe just a touch more, but your fuel bill would be a fraction of what it is now and still have the same power & speed but with much longer range.....sounds too good to be true........

and coming from outboards, your not loosing the sound. Just set some DEER ALERT wistles on top and it will still sound the same!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't cruise ships, big dump trucks, and trains do this already with a motor to generate electricity? I don't see why you cant have the bigblock sound and the electric on the boat. Instead of 2 or 3 bigblocks you might only need one with a generator and traction motors.

Last edited by BIGSLOW; 07-22-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.