Registered

Received 1,786 Likes on 703 Posts
Default Fatal Accident in Pa.

Looked like maybe a 35ish Elimnator??

Search Resumes For Missing Man After Boat Capsizes
Crews: Summer Heat Impedes Search-And-Rescue

POSTED: 7:25 pm EDT July 2, 2011
UPDATED: 10:02 am EDT July 4, 2011

FAYETTE COUNTY, Pa. -- Dive teams have resumed the search for a missing boater after boat capsizes near Yough Dam.

After hours of searching on Sunday, rescuers in Fayette County pulled the capsized speedboat from the Youghiogheny Lake.

"We got the boat to shoreline. It sunk at about 30 feet of water. It required an extensive effort to get it out," said Jim Gonzalez, of the Army Corps of Engineers.

They towed it to shore about 2 p.m. Sunday, but crews said there was still no sign of the 50-year-old man who went down with the watercraft.

"The victim was supposed to be in approximately 90 to100 feet of water, which is a deep water dive and restrictive on time that the divers can be underwater," Gonzalez said.

Divers said the weather has also made it difficult for them to continue their search-and-rescue operation.

"The extreme heat is making it very difficult on the divers. Even though they're in the water, if anybody's familiar with how the sun reflects on the water, it's taking a toll on the divers and (even) the personnel on the shore," Confluence Assistant Chief Ron Hostetler said.

Hostetler added, "It's a matter of getting the divers down, and once we get (them) down, they only have a few minutes to search underneath on the ground, at the bottom of the lake."

Emergency dispatchers said that four or five people were believed to have been on the boat when it capsized at about 3 p.m. Saturday.

Witnesses said the cause of the boat's capsizing was speeding on water.

"We were out on the lake and this boat has been out on the lake multiple times. We have been watching it for couple weeks now. It's a fast boat," witness Judy Murtha said. "Everyone thinks its just too fast on this lake."

Two other people on-board that boat are recovering at Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, W.Va.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/28430598/de...#ixzz1R9ljDvw9

http://www.wtae.com/news/28430598/detail.html
Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

That's some horseshlt speculation by the peanut gallery.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks. I feel sorry for the people. My first boating as a kid was on that lake and my aunt and uncle still have a place there.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that maybe ms judy shouldve thought about her statments. True his boat was fast and maybe if she wouldve voiced her opinion before yesterday maybe this wonderful man would still be here. We his family are left to deal with the aftermath.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,786 Likes on 703 Posts

Every time I see one of these stories I pray it's the last. Seems it never is.
It's important that we ALL understand that at those speeds if ANYTHING breaks.....it will probably be catastrophic.
Importnant we all understand this.
God speed to those lost and prayers to all involved.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

RIP powerboater.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Condolences and Prayers for the family.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

"EVERYONE feels its just too fast for this lake" Really? Everyone? What a retard. Boats doing like 40 in the video.

Glad the kids are ok. Sorry to hear about the capt.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

Anyone know yet what kinda boat it is? Or have a better Pic..

I can't tell, everytime I pause it, the play button's in the way, so I cant make it out... Bright colors, Cat or Vee ? idk....

So sad, i hate when this happens! Supposed to be out on a holiday weekend having fun, and it turns into a nightmare...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.