Notices

rotten gas

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rotten gas

i need to pump-out about 30 gallons of some really bad gas from my boat, does anyone know of a service on long island, new york that will come to the house and pump it out while the boat sits on blocks on the driveway....or any suggestions as what to use to pump it out myself????????
and can i snake a 1/2 rubber tubing right through the gas filler pipe , directly into the tank, and siphon it right from there??

Last edited by sassea13; 07-12-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just used a small electric pump that I got from the auto parts store. I then slowly mixed it in with gas in older trucks to get rid of it. The older trucks will burn the stuff up no problem. I would put in about 5 gallons in a 30 gallon tank and we did not have an issue on any of the trucks we tried it on.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

You should be able to siphon it yourself. As long as you remove the anti-siphon valve from the tank pickup and attach a regular hose barb fitting you should be able to use a short section of hose and one of those kerosene siphons and transfer it it gas cans.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
You should be able to siphon it yourself. As long as you remove the anti-siphon valve from the tank pickup and attach a regular hose barb fitting you should be able to use a short section of hose and one of those kerosene siphons and transfer it it gas cans.
can i snake a 1/2 rubber tubing right through the gas filler neck directly into the tank and siphon it that way?????
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sassea13
can i snake a 1/2 rubber tubing right through the gas filler neck directly into the tank and siphon it that way?????
Probably. You might have to twist and shake the hose a little to help feed it into the tank, but it should work.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just pull the fuel line from the engine, and suck from there?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by joew.
Why not just pull the fuel line from the engine, and suck from there?
If you use an electric fuel pump as AudioFN mentioned that would work. A siphon won't because of the anti-siphon valve (assuming it is in place).
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Where on LI are u. I have a guy by me that takes the old gas and burns it in his cranes and other equipt. Get it out in drums and u can bring it to him. just gave him 120 gallons the other day... Tom
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

I like to pop the sending unit out of the tank, then make sure the tube goes to the back of the tank (usually with the front of the boat elevated) and just siphon it out.

This works great if you just have water in the fuel as the siphoning doesnt mix the water and gas and you can pull out just water. Clear jugs help show whats being pulled. Electric pumps seem to mix everything up too much.

Of course every boat/situation is different....