Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   High Performance as a Dive Boat??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25783-high-performance-dive-boat.html)

THRILLSEEKER 06-03-2002 11:08 PM

High Performance as a Dive Boat???

I always get dumb looks from people when I tell them that sometimes I use my cig as a dive boat. Granted its not intended to be and gear takes up alot of space but people act like ime stupid for doing it or something. So out of curriosity who else on this board uses a speed boat for recreational scuba??

Audiofn 06-03-2002 11:12 PM

I dove off mine once. Never again!!! Luckily I have a buddy that has a boat that is much more suited to the task. I know that Nickslick has done a number of dives off his. You just have to be to damn carefull and it was to stressfull.

Jon

THRILLSEEKER 06-03-2002 11:17 PM

What do you mean damn carefull and to stressfull?

Audiofn 06-03-2002 11:19 PM

Had to be carefull not to bang the tanks off anything, climbing out near the drives was not all that safe with the sharp props and all. Then getting the equipment up and on the boat and in with out scratching anything and making a mess. The stress was doing all that and hoping that nothing bad happened.

Jon

THRILLSEEKER 06-03-2002 11:30 PM

True!! I ripped the leg wide open on a new DUI dry suit on one of my cleaver props. OOOHHHHH!!!!! talk about pissed:mad:

puder 06-04-2002 01:53 AM

i've done it a few times. The boat is a mess no mater how careful you are. Also I dive with integrated weights and its a ***** to climb up the tiny ladder with a BC full of 36lbs of lead with a 1/4" wetsuit.

mltdwn12 06-04-2002 08:00 AM

We just finished up our confined dives Saturday, and do our final open water dives in about 3 weeks in Moorea. Don't know if I'll do a lot of diving off my boat in Lake Pleasant :D Too many old trees to grab ya!!!

Craig

Padraig 06-04-2002 08:42 AM

My wife and I dive off our Velocity 280, no problem.

Wild Horses 06-04-2002 09:01 AM

When we travelled down to Florida, Miss Wild Horses and I went diving on the USS Dwaine (100’ penetration dive) off the coast of Key Largo with Intolerant1 holding down the fort above with a bevy in hand. It was a blast. Sure the boat was a mess but it was one of the highlights of the vacation.
We were certified in Lake Simcoe on Nov. 23rd a few years ago and took the boat to the dive. The water was 38 degrees and we surfaced in the middle of a snowstorm (6mm suites) to find the boat with an inch of snow covering everything. That was one cold ride home. :eek: :eek: :eek:

THRILLSEEKER 06-04-2002 09:07 AM

You got some big kahunas or a high tolerence for cold water. I freeze in 45degree water in a 6.5 two peice. Thank god for dry suits