Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Planning to purchase (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/257907-planning-purchase.html)

Blackjack21 07-12-2011 10:51 PM

Planning to purchase

Hey everyone. New to the board but have been reading posts for few weeks. I am planning to take the plunge into boat ownership early next year for the 2012 season and just starting to plan my purchase now. I haven't owned a boat before but have ridden on quite a few from pontoons to house boats to ski and high perf boats. Interested in the high perf route but want the wife to enjoy it as well (ie no 120mph cats). I would like to start with a used 3-5yr old boat that is still in really good shape. I would like to keep the purchse to 70-90k if possible although that's a bit flexible if need be. So far I really like the sunsation 288 mid cabin open bow. The design looks nice and it seems like the best of a ski and high perf boat in one. From what I have seen they run about 70mph with the 496ho. I would like a little more speed if possible. Maybe one with a 525efi? Most of my boating will be on a lake 6k-10k acres so dont need to hit 100+mph. Anyway I am open to other boats but I do really like the mcob layout. I assume that people ski and tube behind this size boat right? What size boat would make that not a good idea? 32+ or twin? Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on boats. Thanks so much.

Dkahnjob 07-12-2011 11:38 PM

A 28' boat should be very good for what you want to do. That is a good size for your first boat.

Riley0114 07-12-2011 11:50 PM

Can't go wrong with a Sunny man. They are great boats with fantastic customer service. Friend of mine owns a 32 Sunsation i have been on it numerous times, and it is a blast so I can predict the 288 being just as fun

hotlavey 07-12-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blackjack21 (Post 3451222)
Hey everyone. New to the board but have been reading posts for few weeks. I am planning to take the plunge into boat ownership early next year for the 2012 season and just starting to plan my purchase now. I haven't owned a boat before but have ridden on quite a few from pontoons to house boats to ski and high perf boats. Interested in the high perf route but want the wife to enjoy it as well (ie no 120mph cats). I would like to start with a used 3-5yr old boat that is still in really good shape. I would like to keep the purchse to 70-90k if possible although that's a bit flexible if need be. So far I really like the sunsation 288 mid cabin open bow. The design looks nice and it seems like the best of a ski and high perf boat in one. From what I have seen they run about 70mph with the 496ho. I would like a little more speed if possible. Maybe one with a 525efi? Most of my boating will be on a lake 6k-10k acres so dont need to hit 100+mph. Anyway I am open to other boats but I do really like the mcob layout. I assume that people ski and tube behind this size boat right? What size boat would make that not a good idea? 32+ or twin? Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on boats. Thanks so much.

I have 2750 Lavecraft 2002 with 160 hours. Overall length is 28 1/2 and it is a closed deck. It is in perfect condition and will run high 90's in fresh water and 100+ in the ocean. Loaded with options and custom additions. Big stereo, Halon, full hydraulic steering from the helm, monster gps and tach,and more. Bottom has been blue printed so the boat rides absolutely perfect at top speed. Engine was a HP500 that now has AFR heads and a 3.3 Whipple. Also runs a 2"shortie Imco with a 30" hering prop. Was the cover boat on Hot Boat Mag in early '03. Send me a pm or E at [email protected]
Thanks

Blackjack21 07-13-2011 07:25 AM

Hotlavey, I looked up that model and it looks nice. Your boat sounds like it may have a bit too much muscle for what I need. I am about 6 months away from purchase but will keep it in mind if you still have it.

Do any other manufacturers make the mcob style? How does sensation rank? I have heard their customer service is quite good. Thanks.

36Envision 07-13-2011 08:03 AM

If you want a good mid cabin for family use take a look at Envision. They made a 29 and 32 with singles. Only draw back, you aren't going to get tons of speed but will get a solid ride and they are affordable. If you want speed don't waste time looking at them. Lots at LOTO for rough water use.

Gladhe8er 07-13-2011 08:19 AM

A 288 Sunsation with 525 might be hard to find. I bet 85% of them came with the 496 HO. Nordic makes a very similar mcob as well.

hotlavey 07-13-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blackjack21 (Post 3451377)
Hotlavey, I looked up that model and it looks nice. Your boat sounds like it may have a bit too much muscle for what I need. I am about 6 months away from purchase but will keep it in mind if you still have it.

Do any other manufacturers make the mcob style? How does sensation rank? I have heard their customer service is quite good. Thanks.

The muscle is there only if you need it however it is a great cruiser. We also have used it for skiing, wake boarding etc. I am not aggressively trying to sell it so it will probably still be around. I haven't used it for two years other then fire it up, warm it up, and shut it down. It sits in covered storage on its' trailer. Very sad.

hawaiianhopper 07-13-2011 02:35 PM

I would check out a Nordic. I see them every now and then come up with 525s. Also a few magic deck boats if you can live without a cabin.

Hauling Hustler 07-13-2011 02:49 PM

New 2011 288 MCOB with 525 EFI base MSRP is 156,113.