Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Interior Questions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25802-interior-questions.html)

283CHECK 06-04-2002 10:14 AM

Interior Questions?

We are in the process of replacing the vinly in our checkmate and it is time for it to be placed back on the wood. My question is do I need to use stainless staples? When I removed the staples they looked to be coated and not stainless. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Chris

Niuhi 06-04-2002 12:14 PM

I just replaced the interior in my little boat and they used stainless. The price of the stainless is not that much more than the regular, and certainly a better choice, but again I believe in overkill. West Marine stocks them and I'm sure any good marine shop will also.

Les

Holy Smokes 06-04-2002 12:42 PM

Hey Chris,
I replaced the hatch cover on my Baja last season. I was able to find stainless steel staples at Home Depot or Lowe's to fit my electric staple gun. It worked great. Saves your hand from all the manual stapling. The gun was only $30 or so, or if you want you can borrow mine. I live near to you in Overland Park.
Travis

turbo2256 06-04-2002 12:44 PM

I used Monel staples on mine a bit more expensive but they will never rust

283CHECK 06-04-2002 12:49 PM

Thanks All

Travis, I have access to an electric gun just need to find out for sure the size it takes and head to Lowe's.

Thanks again

Chris

cuda 06-04-2002 02:14 PM

I just recovered all my vinyl. I used 3/8 stainless stapels from Lowes. They are $10.48 for a box of 1250 staples. I used one box to finnish 6 panels that were 12 feet long. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a difference between Monel and stainless. Maybe Monel is a trade name? My dad gave me a box of Monel staples that are at least 25 years old, and the price on the box was $11.80. DO NOT use the non stainless stapels, someone had on another boat I bought, and they just rust away completely, the only thing that even lets you know there was a staple there is the rust stain. BTW, I have never found the stainless staples at Home Depot.

Indy 06-04-2002 02:26 PM

Sears had 3/8" stainless staples. I also bought that front firing staple gun, its pretty nice. Better than those backwards handle standard staplers

turbo2256 06-04-2002 02:30 PM

Monel is different than stainless were about 12 something a box ...stainless can rust

283CHECK 06-04-2002 03:18 PM

Monel??

Is that a brand name or the metal type? If so any ideas as to where to get some?

Thanks

Bo Knows 06-04-2002 09:35 PM

Just finished the interior in my 283 Checkmate. Stainless steel staples & electric staple gun are the only way to go. I also coated all the wood with 2 coats of polyurethane before putting the upholstery back on.

Bo