Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do I rarely hear of Imco -3's in use? >

Why do I rarely hear of Imco -3's in use?

Notices

Why do I rarely hear of Imco -3's in use?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Why do I rarely hear of Imco -3's in use?

Why is it that I've very rarely heard of anyone using an IMCO -3" shorty? I'm well aware that most boats don't NEED to move the X that much, but are there other reasons? I think I had read once that modification of the upper was necessary??? My Fountain is rigged very low and I've been torn between moving up 2 or 3. Am I missing something?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to modify the upper or limit your prop dia. to less than 15. Merc props are box stock at 15.25 and Herrings are 15.50. I did the mod after everyone said it wouldnt work..Its really easy.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

May have something to do with making a surface drive out of a drive that wasnt meant to be a surface drive. I am sure it works in some cases, but not for the average Joe. I would think older, deeper setups would benefit more than trying to go extremely high on newer raised X boats.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by TxHawk
May have something to do with making a surface drive out of a drive that wasnt meant to be a surface drive. I am sure it works in some cases, but not for the average Joe. I would think older, deeper setups would benefit more than trying to go extremely high on newer raised X boats.
Your still alive house!!!!!!!