Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Prayers needed. OSO member HIGH LIFE killed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/258204-prayers-needed-oso-member-high-life-killed.html)

aintercept 07-17-2011 09:39 AM

My wife and I are great friends of MIke. In fact I was just with him this week and as usual he inspired me with his incredible enthusiasm for offshore boating. He died the way he lived and we will miss him dearly. Our thoughts and love go out to his family.

Scott B 07-17-2011 09:44 AM

Knew Mike from donzi.org, he certainly was a great guy. Our thoughts and prayers to Mike's family, and also the other person injured.

Godspeed Mike, see you on the big pond.

Top Banana 07-17-2011 09:50 AM

Two years ago Mike invited me to go on a poker run with him up on Narragansett Bay. It was the first time I met his son as he was just a little guy when we raced back in the day. He joined us in the boat that day.

We showed up with Mike's 27 foot Magnum sedan with the twin 300 HP outboard Mercs. All the other boats came with their assortment of blowers and number 6 drives etc. Total boat count was close to 30. Mike's son said it looks like we are outclassed....Mike and I laughed and said let's see how we do at the end of the day.

First stop we were the 5th boat, second stop we were the 4th boat and the lunch stop we were the 3rd boat in, behind a 38 foot Cigarette with blower motors and a 32 foot Sutphen.

We explained to his son that the difference was navigation. We didn't follow the boat wakes of the other runners, but set our own course and followed as straight a line as possible. That was old school open ocean racing skills and we both still loved doing it.

I could see the pride come up in his son's eyes for his dad. What first appeared to be a day in an old out of date boat with outboards, proved to his son to be a day worth remembering....which I am sure he is doing right now.

97FASTech 07-17-2011 09:50 AM

I didn't know Mike, although sounds like the OSO community knew him quite well. Prayers and thoughts to family and friends. RIP "High Life"

Audiofn 07-17-2011 09:52 AM

RIP! My thoughts and prairs go out to his family and friends. Very sad.

mike tkach 07-17-2011 09:53 AM

my thoughts and prayers to him and family,RIP

thirdchildhood 07-17-2011 10:01 AM

I've had some scary flights off cruiser and freighter wakes. RIP

cig28 07-17-2011 10:06 AM

Only knew him on OSO but felt like i knew him as a friend. RIP high life

Interceptor 07-17-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 3454623)
Two years ago Mike invited me to go on a poker run with him up on Narragansett Bay. It was the first time I met his son as he was just a little guy when we raced back in the day. He joined us in the boat that day.

We showed up with Mike's 27 foot Magnum sedan with the twin 300 HP outboard Mercs. All the other boats came with their assortment of blowers and number 6 drives etc. Total boat count was close to 30. Mike's son said it looks like we are outclassed....Mike and I laughed and said let's see how we do at the end of the day.

First stop we were the 5th boat, second stop we were the 4th boat and the lunch stop we were the 3rd boat in, behind a 38 foot Cigarette with blower motors and a 32 foot Sutphen.

We explained to his son that the difference was navigation. We didn't follow the boat wakes of the other runners, but set our own course and followed as straight a line as possible. That was old school open ocean racing skills and we both still loved doing it.

I could see the pride come up in his son's eyes for his dad. What first appeared to be a day in an old out of date boat with outboards, proved to his son to be a day worth remembering....which I am sure he is doing right now.

Nice memory.

fountain4play 07-17-2011 11:15 AM

Prayer's and condolences....Godspeed "RIP"