Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I don't get it!  Help me to understand. .!?!?! >

I don't get it! Help me to understand. .!?!?!

Notices

I don't get it! Help me to understand. .!?!?!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

People are strange in their priorities Bill. I've heard just about every excuse one can make up.

The ones that humor me the most are having to mow the yard or clean out the garage. It doesn't get anymore lame than that for me. I've NEVER in my entire life seen a dirty garage that disappeared while I'm at the lake nor have I seen a tall yard that wasn't still waiting on me when I got home. In short, that's what the weeknights are for. Weekends are for fun.

We have friends asking us all the time to do things with them on weekends during the summer. We respectfully decline with the same answer to everyone. "We will be at the lake EVERY Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day until Labor Day if you want to spend time with us".

As for the kids not enjoying boating, or specifically performance boating, I must have missed something on this one. My kids wouldn't trade it for the world. Give them the choice of riding on the Cig or a tower boat towing all the toys and they'll be in the Cig every time. One of our boating friend's daughter asked my daughter yesterday if we liked our boat. My daughter chuckled and said yes, why wouldn't we? I think the other girl felt sorry for her because we didn't have a lot of room and storage like they did. My two wouldn't trade for any amount of money.

Give my kids a chance to spend a weekend long slumber party with all their best friends or one day at the lake with us and they will choose the lake every time.

Life is too short. Chores can be done anytime. If one can't play why bother?

Buck

Last edited by buck183; 07-18-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Think a lot of people are brain dead from work and family commitments by the weekend and just can't make a decision so they sit home and recharge for the following weeks agenda.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your attitude Buck, but the world of today is different than it was even 5 years ago. I was at LOTO this weekend and spent about 1 hour conducting business on the phone while rafted up. When you and I met at the lake about 10 years ago, we both had cell phones - but we probably only used them to call our wives or call each other to arrange a get-together.

My work switch is 'ON' long after I get home from the office. My house has gone to heck, and I have given up other hobbies as well. The honey-do list is now a book. It is hard to enjoy boating down time when there is so much work to get caught up on at home.

A sad state of affairs, but I am betting a lot of others are in the same boat. (pun un-intended when typed - but fitting).
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Bill,

It's a shame we aren't closer - kelli and I are on the water any chance we get. Is it a lot of work - yes. Is it worth it? In my opinion, YES!!

We were on the boat from 6PM Friday until after midnight, and then on the water from 1pm to 12:30 am Saturday night.

We, however spend most of our time rafting up with friends, a lot of which are friends SOLELY from the raft up. Of course we normally make a lunch run in the middle of the day somewhere.
We need to keep in touch - I am game to go out anytime as long as the wind isn't howling (non Cig - smaller boat). Love to raft and socialize......

Everyone above - you guys have hit the nail on the head. One day we are all gonna wake up and realize life has passed us by. Don't get me wrong, I too have passed up many opportunities to hang with friends and usually with out any good reason.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frequency
I like your attitude Buck, but the world of today is different than it was even 5 years ago. I was at LOTO this weekend and spent about 1 hour conducting business on the phone while rafted up. When you and I met at the lake about 10 years ago, we both had cell phones - but we probably only used them to call our wives or call each other to arrange a get-together.

My work switch is 'ON' long after I get home from the office. My house has gone to heck, and I have given up other hobbies as well. The honey-do list is now a book. It is hard to enjoy boating down time when there is so much work to get caught up on at home.

A sad state of affairs, but I am betting a lot of others are in the same boat. (pun un-intended when typed - but fitting).
As always you have a valid point to make. I too have that list, but choose to let the little things sit until time permits. I have two daughters that are far more important to me and my time than a garage or any other chore will ever be.

Work is important and it's what gives us the ability to enjoy the hobbies that we enjoy. I would agree that it does take priority at times. I also know that if we can't enjoy ourselves a little bit there's almost no point in doing it. I guess it's almost a fine line one has to walk.

Keep me in check. I need it every now and then. It's just so dang easy for me to say the heck with it and spend the day at the lake with no worries. Keep in mind, we spent the last six years without a boat and that was VERY tough for us. Probably the most miserable I've been in my life. Going without makes one appreciate it in a big way.

Buck
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
We have friends asking us all the time to do things with them on weekends during the summer. We respectfully decline with the same answer to everyone. "We will be at the lake EVERY Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day until Labor Day if you want to spend time with us".
YEP - and what really grinds my gears is when people have the audacity to schedule weddings during boating season. PISSES ME OFF.

This year one of our good friends we have known for about 25 years is scheduling their wedding on the same weekend as Bay Days (a big boat festival party down here). Needless to say I am not going to the wedding.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BINGO! Pisses me off to no end when friends and family get ticked when THEY plan something on a weekend that I plan on boating and I simply say "Nope, going to the lake!". It's mostly my Mom, but others do it too. I explain to them, that I went to the expense of BUYING the boat, MAINTAINING the boat, and FUELING the boat, by damn, I'm gonna USE the boat. My time is limited, theirs not so much, so I always invite them, but going to the mall, watching a movie (ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON!!!) comes first for them. NOT ME! Weddings are for NON-BOATING season!!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR
Hey guys, help me out! *Why have a boat?*

It seems lately no-one wants to boat together any more! *Here it is *- basically 1/2 way through the summer and no one can make plans to get together and boat! These are folks that kids are out on their own, folks that have plenty of time and disposable income and folks that talk each winter about how they can't wait till boating season.*

This weekend in our neck of the woods is a big festival on the James River. Everyone talks about it for a year as a don't miss event. That event was this past Saturday, and virtually everyone in our area was planning on going.*
There were a bunch of great folks from Richmond........ And it was great to see them! But out of 15-25 boats planning on going from our local area, maybe 5 boats / groups made it! No reason as to why - most just didn't show. I understand things come up - ESP work, but to just not show???
There are 2 major poker runs in the area (one that I help put on) - the majority of local boaters don't attend!

I tried to get a group on my boat at my expense to go to lunch Sunday (granted at last minute) and no one would/could go. Heard - just gonna stay home; going to do dogs on the grill; got to clean the bilge; got to do some work, gonna go to pool, waiting to hear from XXX and see what he is doing; the kids want to stay home and so on.

Thus I am wondering - no one seems to want to boat anymore. Why have a boat, why put up with the expense and head aches?

Again, here it s 1/2 way thru summer; and the majority of local boaters / friends have yet to get together.*The rare time when a bunch can gather - it is a top notch time and everyone talks about the fun for days.*

What Is up? Fuel too much? Getting too old? Loss of interest? Too obsessed with maintenance (that was my problem till I bought a cheapo boat) or???????
Help me out - I do not understand.
I know why nobody wants 2 hang w/ ya!!! DA!!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buck183
People are strange in their priorities Bill. I've heard just about every excuse one can make up.

The ones that humor me the most are having to mow the yard or clean out the garage. It doesn't get anymore lame than that for me. I've NEVER in my entire life seen a dirty garage that disappeared while I'm at the lake nor have I seen a tall yard that wasn't still waiting on me when I got home. In short, that's what the weeknights are for. Weekends are for fun.

As for the kids not enjoying boating, or specifically performance boating, I must have missed something on this one. My kids wouldn't trade it for the world. Give them the choice of riding on the Cig or a tower boat towing all the toys and they'll be in the Cig every time. One of our boating friend's daughter asked my daughter yesterday if we liked our boat. My daughter chuckled and said yes, why wouldn't we? I think the other girl felt sorry for her because we didn't have a lot of room and storage like they did. My two wouldn't trade for any amount of money.

Give my kids a chance to spend a weekend long slumber party with all their best friends or one day at the lake with us and they will choose the lake every time.

Life is too short. Chores can be done anytime. If one can't play why bother?

Buck
Boating is not a priority in the grand scheme of things, but it is fun and is a high priority for a lot of us. Others make good points, people work harder and just want to relax on the weekend. I know some weeks get busy my self and I have to take the weekend off to get stuff done. Even when asking friends out it probably comes down to money or time. For one they have to spend money in gas getting to your location money on food and drinks, that alone could be 100 bucks or more. Not to mention whether you ask for it or not most people figure boats like these they better offer some cash up for gas, and to be frank if a buddy gave me 20 bucks I would tell him dont worry about it. Everything is time and money and as fun as boating is it cost a lot of money to participate in and people either dont have money or saving money because they are scared of the economy right now.

By the time people gave up some money in gas, food& drink, and getting themselves there they could easily drop 200 bucks and for some thats alot of money to go for a boat ride
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, we don't get to boat as much as we used to, either! last year we spent a lot of time with my Mom. Her health wasn't good and she passed away. This year we are spending time with Carol's Mom. She is the only parent we have left.
I will say though, that we do still enjoy boating with friends and meeting new ones every chance we get. Looking forward to your event coming up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.